Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My 15 Favourite Superhero Movies 2000-2011 that Are Based on Comics


Limiting myself to live action ones, though there’s been some decent straight to video cartoons                                                 
1.      Batman Begins: Best use of Batman’s Bruce Wayne persona in live action
2.      Captain America: The First Avenger: I like the fact that he’s motivated to fight the bad guys simply because he hates bullies
3.      Daredevil: While it has some cheesy moments, I like the look at him as troubled hero
4.      The Dark Knight: Heath Ledger rightly won an Oscar for his take as the Joker
5.      Hulk: Despite a weak final act, this is a nice cerebral take on the monster hero
6.      Incredible Hulk: Less cerebral than its predecessor, still an intelligent fun action movie
7.      Kick-Ass: Very nice twisted humour
8.      Punisher War Zone: I realize I’m fudging the definition of superhero here (but then, Hulk, V, and most of the Watchmen characters are also arguably borderline cases), but it definitely has a superhero feel to it; some nicely twisted kills
9.      Spider-Man 2: While I’m not a big fan of the original Spider-Man franchise overall, this was my favourite installment in it; some nice bits of heroism and look at identity issues
10.  The Spirit: Yes, I know it’s not exactly true to Eisner’s vision; it’s just so darn twisted it won me over anyway
11.  Thor: Nice look at what it means to be worthy of great power
12.  V for Vendetta: A fun socio-political thriller.
13.  Watchmen: Surprisingly faithful to the original deconstructionist work
14.  X2: X-Men United: A nice look at the hero team under siege, with some nice character arcs
15.  X-Men: First Class: A fun look at the evolution of the early stages of the complicated Professor X-Magneto relationship

My choices might surprise some people.  Sorry, Spider-Man, while having some nice moments has too many dramatic missteps to make this list.  I really do feel that Daredevil and Hulk are underrated.  So are Fantastic 4 and Ghost Rider, though not enough to make the list.  .

2012 should be interesting, with Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, Dark Knight Rising, Avengers, and Amazing Spider-Man all scheduled to come out.

No comments: