Monday, February 27, 2012

Razzie Nominations 2012 with Comments

Here's the link to the official page: http://www.razzies.com/history/32ndNoms.asp

Each category has a separate link so I'll list them all below to save you all some time. An actor nominated for multiple roles often has then lumped into one nomination unless they fall under different categories. Winners will be announced April 1, though I understand that some less important awards show aired at the end of February. Other than in the My Comments section, everything below is the opinion of the Razzies folks, not me.

Worst Picture:
Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star
Jack & Jill
New Year's Eve
Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon
Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part I

Worst Actor:
Russell Brand (Arthur)
Nicolas Cage (Drive Angry 3-D, Season of the Witch, Trespass)
Taylor Lautner (Adduction, Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part I)
Adam Sandler (Jack & Jill, Just Go With It)
Nick Swardson (Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star)

Worst Actress
Martin Lawrence (Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son)
Sarah Palin (Sarah Palin: Undefeated)
Sarah Jessica Parker (I Don't Know How She Does It, New Year's Eve)
Adam Sandler (Jack & Jill)
Kristen Stewart (Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part I)

Worst Supporting Actor
Patrick Dempsey (Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon)
James Franco (Your Highness)
Ken Jeong (Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son, The Hangover Part 2, Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon, Zookeeper)
Al Pacino (Jack & Jill)
Nick Swardson (Jack & Jill, Just Go With It)

Worst Supporting Actress
Katie Holmes (Jack & Jill)
Brandon T. Jackson (Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son)
Nicole Kidman (Just Go With It)
David Spade (Jack & Jill)
Rosie Huntington-Whiteley (Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon)

Worst Screen Ensemble
Entire Cast (Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star)
Entire Cast (Jack & Jill)
Entire Cast (New Year's Eve)
Entire Cast (Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon)
Entire Cast (Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part I)

Worst Director
Michael Bay (Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon)
Tom Brady (Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star)
Bill Condon (Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part I)
Dennis Dugan (Jack & Jill, Just Go With It)
Garry Marshall (New Year's Eve)

Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off, or Sequel
Arthur
Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star (rip-off: Boogie Nights, A Star is Born)
The Hangover Part 2
Jack & Jill (remake/rip-off: Glen or Glenda)
Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part I

Worst Screen Couple
Nicolas Cage & Anyone Sharing the Screen With Him (Drive Angry 3-D, Season of the Witch, Trespass)
Shia LeBeouf & Rosie Huntington-Whiteley (Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon)
Adam Sandler & Jennifer Aniston or Brooklyn Decker (Just Go With It)
Adam Sandler & Katie Holmes, Al Pacino, or Adam Sandler (Jack & Jill)
Kristen Stewart & Taylor Lautner or Robin Pattinson (Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part I)

Worst Screenplay
Adam Sandler, Allen Covert, Nick Swardson (Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star)
Steve Koren, Adam Sandler (screenplay); Ben Zook (story) (Jack & Jill)
Katherine Fugate (New Year's Eve)
Ehren Kruger (Transformers: Dark Side of Moon)
Melissa Rosenberg (Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part I)

My Comments: I can really comment on the quality of these because I haven't seen a single one. There was speculation that Green Lantern (which I saw and thought was okay) might get some nominations but that obviously didn't happen; while I haven't seen it, by most accounts Green Hornet (not nominated) was a worse superhero movie. In three cases (including one Supporting role), male actors got nominated in a Worst Actress category for playing a woman.

Sarah Palin's nomination is not without precedent: George W. Bush was nominated (and won) for Worst Actor for Fahrenheit 9/11.  Ronald Reagan also won a Lifetime Achievement award in the Razzies' first year (1981) but that was for his actual acting; his presidency had only just started at the time.

Adam Sandler now has the record for most Razzie nominations in a single year so he'll more than likely win one or more.

My own pick for worst movie, unsurprisingly shut out because it did get some decent reviews, was Melancholia (I would have also given it nominations in the Actress (Kirsten Dunst), Director, and Screenplay categories, though most of the supporting cast was passable, doing the best with what they had to work with; I think it was trying to induce melancholy but for me just bored the heck out of me).

No comments: