Friday, September 30, 2011

Europe 2002 Trip Reports Part 21 Luxemburg Day 2 and Other Random Thoughts


This is the 21st of a series of posts recalling my trip to Europe, using e-mails sent at the time.  Unlike later trips, I didn’t e-mail people everyday.  Trip reports are largely as I wrote them at the time with two exceptions: I was usually pretty rushed due to Internet fees in Europe, so I’ve cleaned up my e-mails to make them more coherent, which wasn’t a priority at the time.  Also, in some blog posts I’ll add additional thoughts with the hindsight of nine years later or to add further clarification.  I’ll use “NOW” in such cases.

This 21st report covers my second (and only full day) at Luxemburg.

I found another terminal but it was too smoky to use; Luxemburg was interesting at first since much of the area was once a fortress but I got bored soon.

I reserved place in Amsterdam that costs more than I thought at the time but will use it anyway as the place is secured which is important... I tried for a cheaper place with free internet but it was hard to reach and I think they want online reservations which usually mean a credit card.

[NOW: A street card wanted to use my phone card but I wouldn’t let him, as I wanted to ensure I still had it in case I needed it later.  This particular trip report was a bit stream of consciousness, hence my referring back to Innsbruck in the next paragraph.]

In Innsbruck I saw pigeons chase smaller birds. But not the pigeon that only had one foot due to an old injury.  Europe is pigeon central.

Legoland injury is acting up.

[NOW: I’ve since fully recovered from that Legoland ride.]

Zurich may be most useless city in Europe.  Most innovative stuff was the temporary spider museum the size of one hall and a plastic Spider-Man model tied into the film; Spidey is a great character but not should be the best of a European city.   It was still interesting to see Switzerland at last since my main prior knowledge was from a children’s show called George, about a St Bernard.

[NOW: It would be interesting to revisit Zurich and se if my initial harsh option of it held.]

A bird I saw today was meditating by a water fountain.

I allotted nearly 4 days in Amsterdam, then 2 for Brussels before London, then home; by random chance, Venice to Salzburg was last night train for this trip.

[NOW: I also seem to recall visiting the castle grounds in Luxemburg. I definitely visited the Notre Dame church there.]

No comments: