Saturday, September 10, 2011

Europe 2002 Trip Reports Part 14 Munich Day 2


This is the 14th of a series of posts recalling my trip to Europe, using e-mails sent at the time.  Unlike later trips, I didn’t e-mail people everyday.  Trip reports are largely as I wrote them at the time with two exceptions: 1. I was usually pretty rushed due to Internet fees in Europe, so I’ve cleaned up my e-mails to make them more coherent, which wasn’t a priority at the time.  Also, in some blog posts I’ll add additional thoughts with the hindsight of nine years later or to add further clarification.  I’ll use “NOW” in such cases.

This 14th report covered my second day in Munich.

First full day in town. It’s raining, so not as much fun exploring outdoors at it might otherwise be. Shopping's pretty interesting here though.  There are lots of book stores, some department stores, and even a comic shop.  I bought a few books, including a German price guide at the comic shop.  I don't care much about the values but it's an interesting reference.  It’s in German, but not that hard to understand. It seems to list title, date, publisher and then values.  And there are some cover reproductions so it's not hard to tell that, for example, Die Spinne is about Spider-Man.

[NOW: If memory serves, at least one book store that I got books at was at the train station.]

Shower is co-ed and doors are pretty see-through.  Luckily I brought a swimsuit...which I shouldn't need any more.  Soon after, I discovered a one person at a time shower room with locking door and no windows.

May stay one extra day: couldn't really do the parks justice today due to rain, and I learned that there's a newly opened branch of Legoland nearby. The park only costs E23 for a full day, not bad by amusement park standards.  The only problem is the train ride is E17 each way (I checked about busses but none go there).

[NOW: As noted in the previous trip report, I did indeed stay an extra day. Not sure it was really worth it though. See next report for my Legoland experience]

A number of people have helped with Visa info (thank you all) so as long as I can get the money situation resolved will probably splurge on a few things.  I have been living a lot cheaper than most visitors to Europe do so can probably afford it.

No comments: