Sunday, September 23, 2012

Flickr Uploading Challenges: Île Perrot



When I travel to different places and then look at the photos afterward, I try to caption the more notable locations as well as, whenever possible, whatever municipality I’m in at any given moment. Sometimes this results in some creative challenges which I’ll illustrate in various blog posts, starting with this one. (see http://www.flickr.com/photos/24917258@N05/ for my photostream).

Today’s lesson involves Île Perrot.  I passed through Île Perrot en route to Montreal.  The thing is there are basically two Île Perrots, though they overlap.  One of them is an island.  When heading to Montreal, you pass through two municipalities on the island. The first is called Pinchot. The second is called le ville de l’Île Perrot, or, simply, Île Perrot.  So I felt it was important to note both the island and the municipality to minimize confusion.

However, there’s another wrinkle: Île Perrot (the municipality) isn’t limited to its island namesake. It also spans two additional islands, l’Île Claude and l’Île Bellevue.  So you cross through Pinchot and l’Île Perrot while on the island called l’Île Perrot, but if you are visiting l’Île Perrot  (the city), you could be one one of the following islands: l’Île Perrot (the island), l’Île Claude or l’Île Bellevue.  So I made notes clarifying which l’Île Perrot(s) was/were on any given photo.

You may have noticed one more wrinkle: While most search engines are good at ignoring accents, the l-apostrophe is a wrinkle, as the presence or absence of that part could affect search results (le, la, and les are not problems because they’re not attached to the noun).  So when possible if I could do so organically *though the use of captions and tags) I tried to refer to both l’Île Perrot and Île Perrot in a photo. 

How many more views will I get doing things this way? I don’t know. However, this is the easiest way to make the photos appear, and the clarifiers minimize confusion to the best that I’m able to.

2 comments:

philippe said...

The 4 cities of Île Perrot are
L’Île-Perrot, Pincourt, Notre-Dame-de-L’Île-Perrot and Terrasse-Vaudreuil. It's simple!

Andy E. Nystrom said...

I agree that within the island it's simple. What complicates things a bit is that le ville de l'Île-Perrot spans multiple islands (aside from the northeast end of its namesake, apparently all of l'Île Claude and l'Île Bellevue are part of le ville de l'Île-Perrot). So when posting photos of l'Île-Perrot, if one wants to make clear the location of the photos, they need to state whether it's the island (in which case which of the four cities) or the city (in which case which of the 3? islands that are within the municipal boundary)