Monday, October 31, 2011

The Halloween Seagull


I was relaxing on my couch this morning when much to my shock a seagull crashed into a paperback rack I keep in my apartment and got tangled up for a bit. It finally relaxed, and, after getting a suggestion from a friend on Facebook, grabbed a towel to try to gently take it out.

It was a baby seagull, and I briefly thought it might be one of my stuff animal birds (the child friendly type, no taxidermy stuff in my place). I took a couple photos and they talked nicely to it as I try to grab it.  It ran off, in the general direction of my balcony. I tried coaxing it further that direction but it disappeared. Not sure where exactly. I didn’t think it had escaped but I couldn’t see it anywhere.

A couple hours later I heard it move again and found it on top of some DVDs. More photos and capture attempt. It flew on top of my entertainment centre (which worried me because I keep comics there). It had a great view of the balcony but wasn’t moving. After more photos I tried tossing a puffed cheese snack out the balcony. No luck.

Another attempt. This time it flew to a DVD shelf and was now only about 30 cm away from the balcony.  More photos and cheese snacks. I tried holding the towel across my hands so it could land on it. Still nothing. I finally made one more attempt. This time it flew out on my balcony. As I tried closing the balcony, it flew off.  The baby seagull was now finally outside and hopefully able to reunite with its family.  Hopefully no major decorations while it was inside.

No comments: