Friday, October 28, 2011

Seattle Trip Day 2006 Day 3 Sunday July 30

UPDATED January 7, 2021

This is the 3rd of a series of posts recalling my first annual trip to Seattle. Unlike later Seattle reports, the hostel I was staying at charged for Internet use so I wrote the reports from notes I’d written after returning home.  I’ve made minor corrections to these reports. Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of five years later or to add further clarification; I “NOW” to denote such cases.

Got up early again and bought a couple new batteries from Rite Aid, where I bought my extra film the day before (latter was buy 1, get one free, about $5 per 4 rolls; batteries not too pricey either).

[NOW: I’m pretty sure that the Rite Aid described above is one that closed down; many other Rite Aids in Seattle though.]

Rode bus to the Museum of Flight.  Bought a daypass, but because I got on during free zone, had to wait for bus to reach the museum to get it.  Museum opened half hour later than guidebooks claimed.  Museum was very impressive.  They had WW1 and 2 exhibits (no mention of Canada though).  A replica of a modern jet allowed people to sit down inside.

[NOW: I don't want to guess at the bus number as that may have changed, but the bus was King County Metro Transit; any buses I rode that day were that. I recall on one visit, likely this one, asking a volunteer about Canada material. He thought there might be a plane in the present day one but not the WW2 area. None actually found.]

Considered exploring one of the neighbouring cities but was anxious to see the University District's stores, so explored there.  Got a DVD at one music store (Brooklyn South: The Complete Series) and might have gotten more but the music was so loud I didn't want to search too long.  Bought more DVDs at Scarecrow Video, a video store in the University District that even has its own movie guide. 

[NOW: I’m almost certain the music store is Al’s Music Video Games.]

Then I went to a park in the upper part of the Capitol Hill region.  Went up a dome that allowed a nice view of the city, albeit through wire mesh.  Then checked out the hill's main street, Broadway.  This turned out to be the/a gay district, but found a bunch of Troma movies there.

[NOW: The park is Volunteer Park and the dome is called the Observation Tower.  Broadway has since become a bit less of a gay district but it still probably wouldn’t be an ideal place for people who don’t like gays/lesbians. I probably got the Troma DVDs at both Gruv, which has since closed and at Everyday Music, which has moved three times since. I also visited the now defunct Bailey/Coy Books on Broadway.]

Walked the rest of the way downtown and re-explored some favourite areas, but visited Borders book store. 

[NOW: This is the one that was on 4th Ave in Seattle; sadly all Borders closed their doors just after my 2011 visit.]

Discovered that my swimtrunks were lost.  The weather was variable and I kept them in my backpack in case it warmed up enough, so I probably took them out searching through my bag in a store.

I bought a book on the Justice League at a downtown book store, probably the day before actually, but may have been this day (forget to add to my rough notes).

[NOW: I think that was a book I got at Arundel Books. I could have sworn that it was a Superman book that I bought through, the Krypton Companion. It has since moved.]  

No comments: