Thursday, October 27, 2011

Seattle Trip Day 2006 Day 2 Saturday July 29

UPDATED: February 4, 2022

This is the 2nd of a series of posts recalling my first annual trip to Seattle. Unlike later Seattle reports, the hostel I was staying at charged for Internet use so I wrote the reports from notes I’d written after returning home.  I’ve made minor corrections to these reports. Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of five years later or to add further clarification; I “NOW” to denote such cases. 

I got up early for a jog.  The police still has an area taped up but it was much smaller.  Also took a peak at the stadium that replaced the Kingdome.  Bought some more film.  Temporarily thought I'd lost my credit card but recovered it at the hostel. Visited Barnes & Noble for the first of a number of times, though I never actually ended up buying anything there (nor Elliott Bay Book Company, sadly).

[NOW: The stadium I was referring to was called Qwest Field at the time it is now called Lumen Field; after being called Qwestr Field it became known as CenturyLink Field a.k.a. CLink. Some of the tape might have actually been for the Torchlight Parade but I’m not sure. I’ve since switched from film to digital camera. The Barnes & Noble described above is the one at Pacific Place, but I think I did end up getting stuff there on day 4. It has now closed, while Elliott Bay Book Company moved to the Capitol Hill district]

Met up with an online acquaintance and we visited the troll and Lenin statues before heading to Kerry Park for a nice view of the city.

[NOW: By troll I mean the Fremont Troll, a statue made in part from an old Volkswagen. It’s under Aurora Bridge on Troll Ave N.  The Lenin statue is also in the Fremont district, while Kerry Park is in Queen Anne]

We went ate lunch in the International District at a Chinese food place that was a bit spicy but had a nice décor.  Drank a lemon soda (they were out of chocolate).  At a racial-focussed museum I there was a replica of an intern camp.  You weren't allowed to take flash pics there but couldn't figure out how to turn the flash off.  On the plus side, because I couldn't figure this out, got two nice pics before giving up, including a replica of a camp room.

[The museum is the Wing Luke Museum. I went there the next year but having switched locations had eliminated the intern camp display.]

We then went to Alki Beach.  Didn't get to see the mini-Statue of Liberty, sadly, but the walk was nice and there was a sort of art show at the beach.

[NOW: Alki Beach is in West Seattle.  I believe the Statue of Liberty was gone that year. That version got too damaged so I new one got made and placed in a more protected display. I also saw the Alki Bathhouse and the Alki Art Fair. I don’t recall seeing the Birthplace of Seattle marker that year but may have. The Bathhouse is just a small building, not currently used for bathing if it ever was.]

My friend dropped me off and then I explored the Pike Market area as a whole.  Went back to Tower Records and got some more films.  A parade was being prepared so I got a lot of pics of the preparation, and later of the parade itself.  Battery started to die midway into the parade, as it was a lamplight parade, thus dark.  Watched most of the parade anyway, but stopped a little before the end because it was getting late and wanted to check my e-mail and unwind before turning in.  There was actually a Vernon BC class in the parade, though.
 
[NOW: Tower Records is now closed. The “lamplight” parade is actually the annual Torchlight Parade held the last Saturday of July. I don’t recall seeing any lamps but it’s certainly possible.]

No comments: