Monday, May 8, 2017

Eastern Canada Trip 2016 Day 13 Sunday June 26: Toronto

This is the 13th of a series of posts dealing with my 2016 trip to Toronto, Montreal, and vicinity. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports (typos, bits I don’t feel like making public). Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of two years later or to add further clarification.  These are indicated by “NOW”.

The home stretch of the trip has begun. Today was the last of the days that was predominately or in this case entirely within Toronto proper. It's also the final day of my weekpass. I had basically switched Saturday and Sunday's itinerary, but much of the itinerary had already happened so this more or less became an "anything can happen" day. All transit today TTC/Toronto Transit Commission.

I ate breakfast at McDonald's then walked to Queen St where I took a 501 streetcar to just past High Park. I wandered around the waterfront, where I got sunrise photos with the CN Tower in the background, saw swans, and crossed bridges over Humber River and Mimico Creek and back I headed north to the giant High Park, which I briefly passed Friday but did not enter. I walked north to a park map and made an educated guess of how to get to the park's small zoo from that point. I found a trail that hadn't been used in a while (webs) and due to steep downhill had to half sit going down to keep my camera safe, but I exited the trail at the zoo. I walked through the one-path zoo to the north end and continued north to Bloor St. At High Park Station I took a 2/Bloor-Danforth train to St. George Station and then switched to a 1/Yonge-University/Spadina train to Downsview, mainly because the north end is above ground and wanted photos of the side I hadn't gotten to yet. At Downsview I stayed on the train but switched seats. Horseshoe-like it went south then north again to Sheppard-Yonge Station (during the ride there was a passed out black lab pup on the train). By that point I'd been in the subway over an hour and was feeling a little queasy. I walked north to Finch Station. Then I took a 1 train south to the Bloor part of Bloor-Yonge Station. i walked west along Bloor St, soon encountering an outdoor market. I used that as an excuse to walk along the middle of the road.

[NOW: The market was the 20th Annual Annex Family Festival.]

I ate lunch at the Hero Burges inside the Honest Ed's complex and then visited Honest Ed's itself, getting photos of some of the more humorous signs. It's a shame that this amazing landmark is going to be destroyed next year for development. Neurotica Records was late opening to I continued on to Zoinks! I took an eastbound 2 train to Spadina Station and then took a 510 streetcar to near Sonic Boom Records, which I visited.

[NOW:  Honest Ed’s and the above Hero Burgers are now closed. Neurotica is now on College St.]

I took a 501 streetcar that only went as far east as Broadview Ave, then another 501 streetcar that only went as far as Kingston Rd, which was my destination. I walked to Woodbine Beach, did a dip in Lake Ontario, and rested a bit. I noticed before most people that it was started to get a little overcast so I took a 92 bus one stop back to Queen, and then a 501 streetcar east to Planet X Comics. I took a westbound 501 streetcar to University Ave. Walking north to Dundas St I took a 505 streetcar to just past Denison Square. I walked to the square, where some small musical event seemed to be happening. Because the Al Waxman station is by a bench I again had trouble getting a good photo as the bench was occupied. Well, I got good photos in previous years. I took a 505 streetcar back to Yonge-Dundas Square.

[NOW: I finally got the photos I wanted the following Tuesday.]

I visited Silver Snail Comics and then continuing north on Yonge had dinner at A&W. After passing Not Just Condoms (but wait there's more!; not to be confused with Condom Shack on Queen St; that last bit isn't a joke), I visited ABC Book Store. Heading to Church Ave I got more DVDs at 7-24 Movies & More. There was a pride event happening on the street. Some of the clothing would probably not be accepted at a Victoria pride event. At Yonge-Dundas Square there was some sort of East Indian event. I walked to a jazz event near City Hall, rested a bit, then returned to the hostel. Depending on how sleepy I get I might go for another walk or just turn in early. I’m leaning to the latter.

[NOW: Both the Church St and Queen St branches of 7-24 are now closed. I did do a brief walk after.]

No comments: