Sunday, June 3, 2012

A Douze-y of a View Towers Elevator Miscommunication


This happened years ago and I’m surprised I never got around to telling this story before.

I once got into an elevator at View Towers that was really packed, so much so that I couldn’t reach the elevator buttons. I asked someone to press 2. Instead she pressed 12, as I realized as we went past 2. I pointed out that we were going past the floor. She laughed and went on for a bit about how she thought I had  said “douze”.  Why she thought I was asking for a number in French I have no idea.  I noticed that while she was having a good laugh at her own expense (a healthy attitude for anyone to have to be sure), she was doing nothing to correct her mistake. That I might still want out didn’t seem to occur to her.  Finally, still unable to reach the buttons myself,  I said, “Press. The nearest. Floor.”  That finally spurred her to press 6.  I finally made it out, relieved to get out of the packed elevator and once again in control of my destiny, or at least the next few minutes of it!

No comments: