Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Seattle Trip 2007 Day 8 Tuesday July 31

This is the 8th and final of a series of posts recalling my second annual trip to Seattle. I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of five years later or to add further clarification; I use “NOW” to denote such cases.

This report only covers the part of the day involving the trip.

Well, the last day I literally hit the ground running: I woke up at 5:53 to discover that my watch alarm hadn't beeped.  The ferry was to leave at 6:10.  Pure adrenalin must be credited with my being able to launder bedding (I might have torn whatever you call that thing some places put on top of mattresses under sheets; hope not), trade my keycard for my $20 deposit, and lug bags seeming to weigh about as much as me to the ferry.  I was so rushed, the $20 deposit never left my hand and was used to pay for the ferry ticket.

[UPDATE December 23, 2012: The ferry was a Washington State Ferries one, and the ferry terminal Seattle Ferry Terminal.]

On the ride to Bainbridge I took sunrise picks.  Perhaps not as romantic as it sounds because of the sun itself but I probably still got some side shots to the sides of the sun.  In a few cases I let my hand be in the photo so it would block the sun.

[NOW: My current digital camera handles sunrise shots a lot better.]

[UPDATE December 23, 2012: The ferry arrival location was Bainbridge Island Ferry Terminal.]From

Bainbridge I took the bus back to Poulsbo.  From Poulsbo I bought a Jefferson Transit bus pass on the bus to Port Townsend.  This bus actually had a baggage section and while waiting for the bus to leave, I started  calculating DVD/comic costs for declaration purposes, but this time stopped at Four Corners rather than Port Townsend, because the bus doesn't arrive in Port Townsend until about a bit after the Port Townsend-Sequim bus leaves.
[NOW: The first bus was the 90 bus, Kitsap Transit, the Jefferson Transit bus is the number 7.]

At Four Corners I took a bus to Sequim, lugging my bags with me for breakfast to go at the same McDonald's I had breakfast to go, going the other way.  Perhaps not that healthy but I liked the symmetry.

[NOW: This bus, also Jefferson Transit – hence the daypass, was the number 8.]

From Sequim I took another bus to Port Angeles, where I finished my calculations.  I looked around a bit, bought a final DVD at E-Z Pawn, and then grabbed a lunch to go at Dairy Queen.

[NOW: This last bus was the 30 Commuter, Clallum Transit.]

The Coast Guard followed the ship much of way back.  Apparently it was a coincidence with whales in the area.  I was too tired to really follow up on that.

Customs went smoothly at first, but they neglected to keep the document from the Consulate, which they're required to do, so I had to backtrack there.

No comments: