Sunday, June 7, 2015

Southern California Trip 2014 Day 9 Sunday November 2 Disneyland Park

UPDATED: February 11, 2021

This is the 9th of a series of posts dealing with my fourth trip to South California. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports. Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of a ¾ year later or to add further clarification.  These are indicated by “NOW”. After I booked the trip I unexpectedly had to move and during that had an Eastern Canada trip that didn’t go that great, so I was already pretty tired before the trip began.

NOTE: For capsule descriptions of rides I’d already been on this trip, see these posts: 
http://saneinsanities.blogspot.com/2015/06/southern-california-trip-2014-day-3.html

The Target that apparently has the camera I need opens at 8, same as when Disneyland opens. I've decided that as nice as it would be to get  the early morning rides in, I'll mostly stick to the original plan after buying the new camera and go to Disneyland today after all. Unless of course that the camera doesn't prove to be in stock in which case I'll probably end up running all over trying to find one. Here's hoping for the former. But if I can stick to the original plan after a detour, it avoids messing up all my plans for the rest of the trip.

[NOW: The above was written in the morning from Orange Mango Hostel, Santa Ana. The rest was written in the evening.]

Had a lot of nervous energy and so walked to the hostel at the Target on the northwest end of town, even passing up a chance to ride the bus part way. It appears there is a town called Garden Grove but it's a bit west of Patti Lane. I just made it to the Target in time for their 8 am opening. With someone's help I found the camera I was looking for for just over $200. Unfortunately I was told it was the last in stock and the security guy with the only keys wasn't there until 8:30. So in the meantime I ate breakfast at a Pizza Hut in the store. The security guy was late (9:15 so I got an extra 10% off). I walked/ran east and waited to a southbound 43 bus (Orange County Transportation Authority/OCTA). I used my anger to force the camera strap on in record time and had it done by the time the bus reached Disneyland Resort.

[NOW: The walk to the Target started me in Santa Ana and I passed through Orange and Garden Grove before arriving in Anaheim.]

Now I might have some of the ride chronology off. I'll only describe rides/list lands if it's not obvious from earlier trip reports. Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion both still had their Halloween effects. I got a Space Mountain Fastpass. I then rode Star Tours, Matterhorn Bobsleds twice using Single Rider lane, Space Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure via Single Rider lane. I got a Fastpass for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and then rode Sailing Ship Columbia (this time visiting the downstairs galley before it took off). I had lunch again at the Golden Horseshoe and saw the comedy act (Laughing Stockers I think).  I rode Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and got a Fastpass for Haunted Mansion. I used the Single Rider lane to ride Splash Mountain and then rode Pirates of the Caribbean. I rode Haunted Mansion and then got another Space Mountain Fastpass. I saw a preview of Big Hero 6 at the Magic Eye Theater in Tomorrowland which recently had Captain E-O. Unlike regular trailers there were a few extra effects such as wind and shifting chairs.
 
[NOW: Space Mountain and Star Tours are in Tomorrowland; Matterhorn Bobsleds in Fantasyland; Indiana Jones Adventure in Adventureland; Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Sailing Ship Columbia, Golden Horseshoe in Frontierland; Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean in New Orleans Square; Splash Mountain in Critter County. I later saw the full Big Hero 6; decent enough movie but shouldn’t have won an Oscar. Magic Eye Theater is now closed.]

I rode the Jungle Cruise, saw the Enchanted Tiki Room and used the Single Rider lane to ride Indiana Jones again. Earlier a group deliberately cheated and used Single Rider passes. This time I think a couple got into the Single Rider lane by mistake. I rode a complete circuit of the Disneyland Railroad from New Orleans Square and then got another Big Thunder Mountain Railroad Fastpass.  I had dinner at the Tomorrowland Cafe; got souvenir drink contains both meals in the park today.

[NOW: Jungle Cruise and Enchanted Tiki Room are in Adventureland.]

I got a Star Tours Fastpass and then rode the Autopia in Tomorrowland on a last minute whim. While just a generic car ride it looked nice in the dark. I rode the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and then Storybook Canal Boats which also both look nice in the dark. I noticed that my Star Tours Fastpass was lost so I used my Space Mountain Fastpass (a woman was arguing with the worker who took the Fastpasses so he nonchalantly took mine while listening to her) and then rode Star Tours using the regular line. I then reached Frontierland in time to watch Fantasia, a live and hologram show over the Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer Island.

[NOW: The Storybook Canal Boats are in Fantasyland; if I recall due to line size and ride breakdowns it took a few tries before I finally got in line.]

I considered Pirates of the Caribbean but I decided instead to take a nighttime Jungle Cruise ride. The fireworks began then. I saw some more of the fireworks after the ride and then took the 16  bus (Anaheim Resort Transit/ART - $3 instead of the $2 I believed) back to near the hostel. I got a drink form 7-11 and then returned to the hostel. Smokey greated me as usual. Noticed that socks I was asked to leave outside yesterday were gone. Did someone really want my stinky socks?

[NOW: It was good that I ended this day on the Jungle Cruise as it wasn’t open during my final visit to the park. I got off the ART bus in Orange. Smokey is the hostel dog.]

No comments: