Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Eastern Canada Trip 2014 Day 4 Friday June 13 Toronto, Markham, Vaughan

UPDATED: February 10, 2021

This is the 4th of a series of posts dealing with my fourth trip to Eastern Canada. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports. Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of a year later or to add further clarification.  These are indicated by “NOW”. After I booked the trip I unexpectedly had to move and was staying at a friend’s place at the time of the trip, so I was already pretty tired before the trip back.

Forgot to mention before: drivers noticeably crazier this year. According to the Police Museum there were only 2 vehicular deaths last year and 5 so far this year, so maybe the drivers are trying to fill some sort of quota. Glad I bought my mini-notebook. Only one Internet computer for everyone, staff included. All travel today Toronto Transit or on foot.

[NOW: The hostel was The Only Backpackers Inn.]

I took a Line 2 train (Bloor-Danforth) from Donlands to Yonge then a Line 1 train (Yonge-University-Spadina) from Bloor to Lawrence to pick up where I left off on my walk yesterday. I walked north along Yonge, having breakfast at a nearby McDonald's. I walked past Steeles Ave to Markham to the lights, then crossed the street into Vaughan, stopping briefly at Galeria market. I continued south, soon crossing back into Toronto. I bought a drink at the 7-11 across from Sheppard Centre. The Sunrise Records in that mall was recently closed down.  As with last year I used a Line 1 train to go from Sheppard-Yonge to Lawrence, skipping a less interesting and uphill segment.  I did a slight doubling back to catch a small section I missed earlier in the morning, then continued south to Bloor.

It was now just after 11 and I miscalculated how much I could do in an hour, so I took a Line 1 train north to St Clair, then a streetcar west to St Clair West Station. I then took a Line 1 train on the other side north to Downsview Station to see areas of the subway I hadn't seen before. It was a bad idea but I had an itch to scratch.  And then the train stopped entirely just before Downsview.

[NOW: It was a 512 streetcar.]

The train finally started going back south after Downsview. Luckily during the brief period when I had reception, I was able to get my friend Aidan to notify my friend Monica I'd be late for lunch. I tried 411 but the operators kept insisting there was no such location.  I finally made it to Dundas Station and dashed to [work location deleted], which did indeed exist at the address Monica gave, and we went for lunch. There was so much food that Monica arranged for me to have some wrapped up for later.

[NOW: She’s now working somewhere else in Toronto. I made the call not to post her work history on my blog.]

I bought some more DVDs at the Edward St BMV Books. I went back to Yonge-Dundas Square, which was mostly blocked off by a beer event. I went to Queen St and got a 501 streetcar which detoured due to construction.

I got off at Greenwood and due to the detour took a 31A bus south back to Queen. I visited Queen's branch of Film Buff and then took a 501 temporary bus to its last stop. I then had to walk the rest of the way to Woodbine, and then went south to Woodbine Beach.  A bit wiped out from yesterday, I stayed there about an hour and drank a fair bit from a water fountain.
 
[NOW: Film Buff has closed.]

I took a 93 bus which passed a sign saying that yesterday there was a strawberry social/silent auction there... only it was at a graveyard. I'm not sure I'd eat strawberries from there and the residents probably aren't very sociable, but I can believe that the auction was in fact silent.  I got off at Woodbine Station and took a Line 2 train to Bathurst to take a quick look at the outside of Honest Ed's once more. Walking east I revisited Queen Video and BMV Books on Bloor St.  I walked a little south on Spadina and took a 510 streetcar to Dundas, and from there a 505 streetcar to Dundas Station. I grabbed a drink from a 7-11 and found a place to sit at Yonge-Dundas Square despite the beer fest still happening.
 
[NOW: Queen Video has closed.]

From there I look a line 1 train from Dundas Station to Bloor, then a Line 2 train from Yonge to Donlands. I returned to the hostel rested briefly, then went for another walk along Danforth, getting a drink at the LCBO before returning to the hostel; debit wasn't working at the LCBO and credit iffy, but cash fine.

No comments: