Friday, June 5, 2015

Eastern Canada Trip 2014 Day 13 Sunday June 22 Toronto – Mostly Toronto Islands

This is the 13th of a series of posts dealing with my fourth trip to Eastern Canada. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports. Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of a year later or to add further clarification.  These are indicated by “NOW”. After I booked the trip I unexpectedly had to move and was staying at a friend’s place at the time of the trip, so I was already pretty tired before the trip back.

Last night a live band was playing directly below me at a pub that is part of the hostel's larger business. It finally stopped playing around 11:45, at which point it went from extremely noisy to just noisy.

[NOW: The hostel was The Only Backpackers Inn. On this day I deliberately avoided taking any transportation to save money.]

This morning I walked along Danforth, getting breakfast at the Danforth & Broadview McDonald’s, then crossed the Prince Edward  Viaduct to Bloor and continued on to Honest Ed's (passing a guy who hailed the police for some reason) where I took many shots of the exteriors. I then worked my way down and east to Yonge-Dundas Square, grabbing a sandwich for later at a Mac's on Dundas St along the way. There was a free beer tasting today there but couldn't work it into today's plans. Despite my pointing it out twice, once 9 months ago and once on Thursday, the tourism booth at the square is still misspelling Niagara on its electronic ads. I walked down to the waterfront and immediately caught a ferry at Jack Layton Ferry Terminal to Centre Island Ferry Terminal on the Toronto Islands.

[NOW: The typo is “Niagra”.]

There is some disagreement as to what the island Centre Island Ferry Terminal is on is called. Some say Centre Island, but I prefer the other name, Middle Island, because Centre Island is also the name of the island directly south of it (except on the east island where it's Ward Island) As we arrived at what I'll call Middle Island, I saw a building with a Kidsfest banner directly above a Corona sign.

There were tents on  Middle Island, possibly due to a Dragonboat Festival that day. I walked to Centreville Amusement Park, which was just about to open for the day. I didn't go on any rides but did visit Far Enough Farm, a petting zoo. One of two cats gave a wide eyed look as I took its picture. I crossed over from Middle island to what everyone agrees is Middle Island, and walked to Centre Island Beach.  I walked west for a bit and then returned to that beach and had lunch before dipping into the lake, which was quite cold.

I started heading east, briefly visiting Snake Island right after seeing a swan. I also visited Algonquin Island where you get a great view of bthe mainland waterfront. I didn't linger though, partly because I had gotten those shots the previous times, but also because a woman was giving a speech to a newlywed couple and I didn't want to disturb that. I returned to Centre Island, passing a Maximum 5 km sign (a bit low for the islands, why often speeds of up to 30 kn/h are permitted!) and walked to a boardwalk that took me to Ward's Island’s Beach on the Ward Island end, passing a cat that seemed determined to get to where it was going.

I rested there for a fair bit before walking the boardwalk back to the Centre Island sections. The wooded tiles felt very loose and there was a No Quadracycles sign.  I walked to Centre Island Beach again, and then headed to Hanlon's Point, the west side of Centre Island.

I got to Hanlon's Point Ferry Terminal just as a ferry was arriving, but had to wait for the next one because the first one filled up.  At least this positioned me well for photos on the next one. I walked north along Yonge. Due to more festivities part of Yonge was blocked off from just south of Yonge-Dundas Square to just north, but I grabbed dinner at Burger King in the blocked off area. A panhandler worked the room. From what I overheard he's apparently a regular. I continued north on Young to Bloor, and worked my way to the 7-11 across from the hostel on Danforth. I then returned here.

No comments: