Friday, June 5, 2015

Eastern Canada Trip 2014 Day 14 Monday June 23 Toronto, Mississauga

UPDATED: February 11, 2021

This is the 14th of a series of posts dealing with my fourth trip to Eastern Canada. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports. Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of a year later or to add further clarification.  These are indicated by “NOW”. After I booked the trip I unexpectedly had to move and was staying at a friend’s place at the time of the trip, so I was already pretty tired before the trip back.

People were doing work on Danforth this morning. Sewage related judging from the smell. I continued walking along Danforth/Bloor to the new McDonald's at Ossington where I had breakfast. I made one last check for the cat in the window a few blocks later but I appear to be out of luck this trip. BTW all transportation this day Toronto Transit. I walked to Lansdowne Station where I got a daypass and took a 2 Line train (Bloor-Danforth) to Kipling Station, then a 111 bus back to Bloor on the west side.

[NOW: I started out from The Only Backpackers Inn.]

I continued walking west on Bloor, crossing over to Mississauga at the Etoicoke River. There was no welcome to Mississauga sign though Toronto had an equivalent. I continued west to High Point Mall, south along Dixie to Queensway, then east across the Etobicoke River again to Toronto. This time I didn't notice any border signs either direction. I continued on, finally waiting for a bus. I waited a bit and gave up, only for a bus to start to arrive. I managed to catch this 80 bus one block over and took it to Keele Station.

There I took a 2 Line train to Yonge, and started south. I bought DVDs including a Mystery Science Theatre 3000 (MST3K) single at Sunrise Records. I also visited Game Centre, ABC Books, and A&W for lunch. Soon after I took a spill. I passed Glad Day Books which I thought had closed down after my first visit in 2011; didn't go in though because the owner wasn't too nice the first visit, insisting on searching my bag upon leaving even though I put it down right upon entering.

[NOW: This Sunrise, now closed, was the one near Bloor St. That Game Centre has closed. Glad Day has moved]

I bought more DVDs including MST3K sets at another Sunrise Records, then BMV Books on Edward St. I visited Yonge-Dundas Square and then bought Band-Aids equivalents at Shoppers Drug Mart at Toronto Eaton Centre. I took a 501 streetcar along Queen to Woodbine (the streetcar route was temporarily reopened) and walked to Woodbine Beach which despite being cooler than yesterday was fairly packed. I rested there a while despite the wind; it took a bit of time on arrival to find a water fountain because the one I went to last time was locked up.
 
[NOW: That Sunrise Records has closed.]

I returned to Queen and got the next 501 streetcar at a stop that was taped to a tree, I did some do-overs of places that were closed before: 7-24 Video on the west end of Queen (West End Comics) was closed again and Film Buff on Ronsevalles. I took a 504 streetcar north on that street and got some DVDs at She Said Boom! I took another 504 streetcar to Dundas West Station and a 2 train to Christie Station.
 
[NOW: 7-24 Movies & More and Film Buff have closed.]

At Doug Miller Books Bumpkin was sleeping. The feeding sign was gone. I visited Suspect Video at the Honest Ed's complex, bought some Honest Ed's t-shirts at Honest Ed's itself, then visited Queen Video and BMV Books on Bloor, getting some comic collections at the latter. I visited Sonic Boom Records at the Honest Ed's complex and ate dinner at the Hero Burgers in the same complex. Aidan joined me there with one of my cases. We went to his place and I got the other case. I then took the 510 streetcar to Spadina Station and a 2 Line train to Donlands Station. At the hostel I packed for my trip home tomorrow.

[NOW: As noted in a previous post, Bumpkin had nibbled on a “Please Don’t Read the Rabbit” sign so it read “Please Do Feed the Rabbit”; he has passed away; the store moved across the street. The collections were the first two Captain Britain hardcovers and the softcover Captain America: Scourge of the Underworld. Suspect Video, Honest Ed's, and that Hero Burgers have closed. Sonic Boom Records merged with another branch and moved top Spadina Ave.]

No comments: