Friday, April 2, 2021

Eastern Canada Trip 2019 Day 9 September 15 Montreal, Laval

This is the ninth in a series of posts covering my trip to Eastern Canada in September 2019, adapting emails originally sent to friends. I use NOW to refer to any updates since I did the trip.

Was definitely impressed that washer and dryer at Auberge Bishop were only $1.50 each. Got woken up twice by the power snorer. The second time was close to 5 so I decided to go for a walk I'd been meaning to get in my usual early morning walk in anyway but the later sunrise has meant I've been getting up later than I normally do in Montreal visits.
 
[NOW: Auberge Bishop as clsed.]

Concert area was being taken down. I had gotten a bargain price 512 GB memory card and yesterday it seemed to work okay (I've been using my camera to check the time). This time I noticed some picture errors. Think I caught it before too many photos were ruined but it was now time to retire that card. I walked along boul. De Maisonneuve  to the Mañana (hand with globe) sculpture; always make me think of the Muppets song ("Man-an-na-na... do dooo... do-do-do"). I walked along rue Ste-Catherine. Where nit meets Pl Jeanne-Mance, there was a novelty machine about facial recognition; some of the uses of similar machines seem sinister so never tried the "fun" stuff today there. I made my way back to the hostel for breakfast.

I walked to Station de Métro Lucien-L'Allier but while there changed my original plans. I decided to take the Orange Line train (all transportation today STM) to Station de Metro Cartier in Laval, which is on Île Jésus. I did what I wanted to do yesterday and crossed Pont Viau over la Rivière des Prairies back to Montreal, Île de Montreal. I walked to Station de Métro Honoré-Beaugrand and took another Orange Line train to Station de Métro Mont-Royal. I walked a little ways. Due to a bike Grand Prix there was routine info for today and one sign suggested the 11 bus was unaffected.  It was so I only rode it a short ways. On the plus side my seat's window had that mesh used for exterior ads which makes photography difficult anyway.

It wasn't easy but I found a place where I could walk up Mount Royal. Along the way some people were really promoting one racer named James Piccolli. No idea if just friends or if he's big in the racing world.
 
[NOW: Apparently the latter.]

I made it to the main area for views of the city and got some nice photos. I walked back down and revisited Jean Coutu (they were out of lime mineral but they had the same brand of lemon mineral water, also good), Libraire L'Échange, Bouchenarie du Plateau, Fox-Troc. I walked to Renaud-Bray on rue St-Denis, visited Librarie Millennium (comics) then back on St-Denis visited Planète-DB (comics; new  location), Débédé (books; not yet open for the day), Librairie Michel Fortin.

I crossed through Square St-Louis and visited the pedestrian only street rue Prince-Arthur.I walked to the hostel I stayed in the first year (Hotel de Paris; not bad, just a hike from the Megabus), the Gare de l'autocars, then Place Émilie-Gamelin (now has a garden), then Archamabult. I walked along rue Ste-Catherine and ate at a McDonald's with outdoor seating. Lots of sparrows. Inside the Complexes Desjardins it was in, where there was a private function about to start by the fountain, I visited Renaud Bray. 

I took a Green line train from Station de Métro Place-des-Arts to Station de Metro Berri-UQAM, then a Yellow line train from there to Station de Métro Jean-Drapeau. There I walked from Île Notre-Dame to Île Ste-Hélène and back. Couldn't find a particular sculpture I like but it might have been moved/removed/covered by the construction. One exhibit was supposed to open on the 13th but was still under construction. 

By now it had  gotten cloudy so instead of relaxing in the sun I put a couple of cancelled plans for today back on the schedule. It was that or get chilly. Returning to the station, I took a Yellow line train back to Berri-UQAM and from there an Orange line train to Station de Métro Rosemont. Near there I visited Studio 9 BD (comics) and then walked  (including under one or two tunnels to rue Masson. I visited a couple French bookstores (Librairie Rachael, Librairie Papette Limasse) and then checked to see whether Vidéotron's website was right about there store there still being open or if Google was right about it being closed. Google was right; you could barely even tell a video store was once there.

I took a 47 bus to Station de Métro Laurier where I took an Orange line train to Station de Métro Square-Victoria-OACI. Square Victoria is a 2-section park between lanes of traffic. From there I walked to the very nearby Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal). I visited the waterfront. I was curious about the Ferris wheel, but couldn't find price info so I just assumed it was too expensive.

I visited March Bonsecouers,. Despite being in the old town w2th an old town exterior, the inside is very modern and expensive looking., I bet stuff there costs your second born, not just your first. I also visited the hub, Place Jacques Cartier one last time.

I took an Orange line train from Station de Métro Champ-de-Mars back to Berri-UQAM and wander Ste-Catherine one last time, with a quick rest at Pl Jeanne-Mance. Grabbed dinner at the DQ on rue Guy Concordia. Back at the hostel, I did a very elaborate packing job to get around Megabus' luggage limits. Not sure if I kept within weight limits. Hoping for the best tomorrow. never had an issue before but refusing luggage over limits is part of their policy. We'll see.

 [NOW: There were no luggage iossues.]

No comments: