Friday, April 2, 2021

Eastern Canada Trip 2019 Day 10 September 16 Montreal to Toronto

This is the tenth in a series of posts covering my trip to Eastern Canada in September 2019, adapting emails originally sent to friends. I use NOW to refer to any updates since I did the trip.\

People are often shocked when I say I'm away for 15 days. Well, we're into the double digits now and still lots to do.

Room was noisy again last night, but I think it was people unpacking. Power snorer was gone. Got up around 5 and walked to McDonald's. My luggage was so full I couldn't even extend the handle. Had I bought even one more DVD it would have gone in my raincoat. Left behind the GO Transit schedules, figuring I can get new ones. I made it to my favourite McDonald's on rue Ste-Catherine, having found the coupons, Kiosk worked. Glad I left Auberge Bishop earlier than planned as briefly got turned around.
 
[NOW:  Auberge Bishop has closed.]

At the Megabus terminal I was a bit worried because some luggage got weighed, but then seemed only concerned with the hard shell cases. Made it on board no problem  even though even a butterfly would have trouble fitting into either backpack or suitcase.

I again got a top front case due to reservations. This time there was a Kirkland pickup so Megabus took a more northerly route to Vaudrieul-Dorion, bypassing Île-Perrot. But we were back on Autoroute 20 well before it became Hwy 411 on the Quebec/Ontario border.

As common lately unfortunately we weren't allowed to leave the bus at the only other stopover, Kingston. Did a bit of real daydreaming towards the end of the 6 hour ride, but not as bad as sometimes and I think I managed to keep with the photos. Getting off at Toronto Coach Terminal, I visited the Edward St BMV Books before grabbing lunch att the nearest McDonald's on Yonge, not far from where Backpackers on Dundas used to be. Kiosk worked and a woman working there helped me get my order to my table so I was obviously loaded down.

I walked past Yonge-Dundas Square and made it to a streetcar stop at Queen and Yonge. A guy who seemed friendly asked me some questions; gave truthful but minimal answers just in case: "Where are you headed today" "The hostel."

I got on the 501 streetcar (Toronto Transit) and payed my fair from the fair machine on board. The newer, more gentrified streetcars have a machine towards the middle. I got off near Parkdale Hostellerie. When  I got the same room with lots of options, the woman was surprised I wanted the same bunk as before. Lower level, can exist either side, has a counter for my glasses and power outlets right above it, and easy access to the door and the locker with minimal disturbance of other guests. Of course I was going to take that one again even without my OCD. I took my inner suitcase out of my outer suitcase at last.

 I walked up to Bloor; it was drizzling most of the rest of the day, but found it a bit refreshing and didn't bother with rain coat;  due to humidity wasn't even really getting wet. Eyesore Cinema wasn't open today. I visited Zoinks and Doug Miller Books. At Dollarama I bought a couple padlocks to replace the one I lost the key to. I visited Seekers Books. Got some comic trades at Bloor's BMV Books, including ones I wanted to get earlier but for space reasons needed to wait until I was back from Quebec. Visited Thunder Struck (comics; same location as the former Labyrinth, also comics). I visited Bay Video. Game Centre near Yonge apparently merged with the one on Danforth.

I visited ABC Books. I noticed as I had previously suspected that a store that I never entered but which had been a running gag during every visit had closed down. Yes, no more Not Just Condoms. So, for one final time... But wait, there's more!

I revisited BMV Books on Edward St now that I was less weighed down. There was some sore of climate thing happening at Yonge-Dundas Square. Ate dinner at Burger King. They screwed up up order and I was too tired and hungry to take it back. Still, cheaper than McDonald's.

I walked to The Beguiling on College St, again getting some trades I couldn't get earlier, including some I had had my eye on last time. I also visited She Said Boom! on College St. I gradually made my way back to the hostel, including a stretch through Dundas St. After that long bus ride, that hike felt really good. Oh, and even got same locker as before so I put on the lock. I don't think anyone will steal; it's mainly so people know it's in use.

No comments: