Monday, April 5, 2021

Eastern Canada Trip 2019 Day 15 September 21 Toronto, Mississauga, Richmond, North Saanich, Victoria

This is the 15th and final in a series of posts covering my trip to Eastern Canada in September 2019, adapting emails originally sent to friends. I use NOW to refer to any updates since I did the trip.

Got up at 5 and took care of some of the checking out process. Walked to Dufferin and the east along Bloor. One rude idiot decided to spook me from a car. Had breakfast at the McDonald's On Bloor St E and then continued on over Prince Edward Viaduct to where Bloor becomes Danforth and walked a ways there, slightly further east than I normally do. A former theatre got converted to a Circle K/Tim Horton's, with the above on the marquee. Heading back, I rested at a fountain in the Greektown part of Danforth.
 
[NOW: The fountain was at Alexander the Great Parkette.]

Returning to Bloor, I walked down Yonge to Yonge-Dundas Square, where I relaxed a bit at the water jets. I walked to the former location of Backpackers on Dundas. Even though it's now something else, I walked up the short outside staircase to recapture par of the feel of walking to and from there. I also revisited Toronto  Coach Terminal largely to get some final shots.

I got to BMV books on Edward St just before it opened and bought a Lex Luthor hardcover. I walked along Yonge and Bloor to Thunder Struck, thinking of getting a collection I saw there, but it didn't open until 12. I crossed the street to Bloor's BMV Books, where I got some Blu-ray s and comic trades, plus a hardcover omnibus of Batman's earliest stories.
 
[NOW: The title of the latter was Batman: The Golden Age Omnibus. Some of the Blu-rays were seasons of Sons of Anarchy; for one season I realized too late they had put in DVDs instead.]

I walked to College and visited The Beguiling. I managed to find the new location of Neurotica Records, but it didn't open for over half an hour. I made it to Queen St, where I had lunch at a Subway. Bone tired from the trip in general and also from today's heavy purchases, I "hit a wall" and decided it was effectively time to end the trip.

I returned to Parkdalle Hostelerie and retrieved by luggage from where I put it on the middle floor (my room was on the top floor but reception is on the middle floor. It was too hard to take photos and wheel two suitcases so I did a few stops here and there as I made my way to the bus stop a short distance away. I got on the 29 bus (all pre-flight transportation today Toronto Transit) and took it to Dufferin Station. I found a place where I could show my bus transfer to enter the subway system. I took the 2 Bloor-Danforth train to Kipling Station and from there took a 900 bus to Pearson Airport Terminal 3, Mississauga.
 
[NOW: The 900 bus is called the Airport Express.]

The only check in options seemed to be self-serve, but I managed to pay6 using the machine and then find the suitcase drop off. I briefly rested outside but decided to go through security sooner than later as it can get busy. The put your things through the x-ray as you scan then, so your stuff can be briefly split with others' in between. I was randomly selected, but only for a hand swab, my favourite kind of enhanced screening. By this point security had gone through my backpack. One guy thought I had packed the yellow pages. It was almost for sure my map book he saw but I was too tired to correct him. I repacked the stuff you have to take out (mini-notebook, cameras). I did a little exploring before finding a place to sit down and type this. 

[NOW: As noted in the last sentence all of the above was written at Pearson.]

Went from where I was relaxing to my gate, which was further away than expected and included among other things going down an escalator, crossing a hall, and going up another. Remembering my trip over that had one window seat that had no windows, I asked about that but the woman couldn't understand the question  and  insisted in my phrasing it in a way so as to let her answer what I already knew, i.e. that I already had a window seat). Grabbed a sandwich at Tim Horton's. The seat had a window but a jet took up a lot of the view. There was a toddler behind me but only noisy at start and end of flight. Probably didn't miss much in terms of photos due to clouds. One flight attendant looked like Colonel Sanders. There were two drink and snack runs but no extra water runs like the trip over. Again, no screen showing where the plane was.

Arriving at Vancouver International Airport in Richmond I had a nice visit with my friend Rachel. We found a decent food court and I had a Wendy's meal. After we passed through security, I was worried as usual about the body scanners and|I did again get beeped, but somehow my body knew what was really going to happen because I automatically put my hand out after the beep. It was indeed a hand swab. At my gate now waiting for the announcement to board for home.
 
[NOW: The last two paragraphs were written at Vancouver International. The rest was written at home.]
 
Not much left so might as well finish. The overhead bin had stuff spread out. I considered calling for flight attendant assistant, but rather than hold up the line, I shifted things myself. it was very dark and rainy but I was further from any view obstruction so the lights from Richmond below during takeoff looked pretty magical. Quick flight to Victoria International Airport, North Saanich. The security area looked completely different from two weeks ago so a good portion of the construction must have been completed while I was away. My checked in suitcase made it okay. Not many people so it was a Tofino bus to Victoria I think. Everyone else got off at one stop and the driver let me off across from my place, which apparently was easier for him anyway than Embassy Inn. Outsides of elevator doors in my building apparently painted yellow while away.

No comments: