Friday, April 2, 2021

Eastern Canada Trip 2019 Day 7 September 13 Montreal, Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, Île-Perrot, Vaudreuil-Dorion, Longueuil

 This is the seventh in a series of posts covering my trip to Eastern Canada in September 2019, adapting emails originally sent to friends. I use NOW to refer to any updates since I did the trip.

See yesterday for accents note. At Auberge Bishop there's almost always someone sitting on the stairwell using their phone.

[NOW: I added the accents in for this blog post where applicable. Auberge Bishop has now closed.]  


I walked to the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts. On the Bishop side there was a couple of Pinocchio art pieces. There was some construction at McGill University. I think I passed La Baie/The Bay, which still has that nice classic logo.  I stopped off at Station du Métro Peel and got a three-day STM pass (all transportation today STM). Returning to the hostel I was disappointed to find their breakfast had no juice this time. I walked to  Station du Métro Guy-Concordia and took a Green Line train to Station du Métro Lionel-Groulx (all trains regardless of line colour are predominately blue). At Lionel-Groulx I took a  411 bus (emptier than in 2016) to Terminus Macdonald in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue.

I was going to get something to drink at Couche Tard but due to prices hunted down a drinking fountain instead. I crossed over the Ottawa river to Île-Perrot passing through the city of the same name as the island as well as Pincourt, I  thin crossed the Ottawa River a second time to Vaudreuil-Dorion. Heading north I completed an apparent 10 km hike to Superclub Vidéotron (got some DVDs). I completed the hike in reverse.
 
[NOW: That Superclub Vidéotron is now closed.]

I made it back to Terminus Macdonald  later than I'd hoped. Bus was packed. Kept fighting sleep and for a time had top take photos without knowing what I was shooting due to space. Finally made it back  to  Lionel-Groulx.

I took an Orange line train to Station du Métro Berri-UQAM, whe3re I transferred to a Yellow line train to Station du Métro Longueuil-Universite-de-Sherbrooke, the sole place in Longueuil to access STM transit. McDonald's there didn't have a kiosk so I skipped, determined to to keep in motion for another long walk. I made it to another Superclub Vidéotron and got some DVDs. Now pushing 3, finally had lunch at a Dairy Queen. Comics Révue Sud was locked. Don't know if closed permanently or not as  it's up a staircase. I made  it back to the Metro; Outside is a sculpture of three giant pigeons trying to get at a giant Campbell's tomato soup can. Wonder what Warhol would have thought of that.
 
[NOW: That Superclub Vidéotron is apparently now a Microplay. I later learned that Comics Revue had moved nearby. The art piece proved to be a temporary art exhibit called L'Odyssée.]

|I took the Yellow line back to Berri-UQAM in Montreal, then the Orange line train to Station du Métro Mont-Royal. I visited Librairie Le Port de Tête (books), A Paul Boutique (music), then in the other direction of rue Mont-Royal, Librairie l'Échange (books and movies), Bouchanerie du Plateau (same), Fox-Troc (books and movies; got some DVDs)

For some reason at Renaud Bray Bazar I thought some DVDs were cheaper than they were. Normally no refunds but he made an exception since I noticed right away. I visited La Cinoche (DVDs) and then took the 97 bus back to Mont-Royal. I took and Orange line train to Station du Métro Champ-de-Mars and used an underground path to cross the highway to Vieux/Old Montreal. I visited the main area (rue Jacques-Cartier) then grabbed dinner at the Old Montreal McDonald's (kiosk worked), then Jacques-Cartier. The sun was starting to go down but did manage a very short visit to the waterfront. There is now a Ferris wheel at the amusement park there. I walked to Place d'Armes (concrete park) and the nearby Station du Métro Place-d'Armes, where I took an Orange line train to Station du Metro Lucien L'Allier. |Crossed through construction to St-Catherine. Was going to walk along there but there was some outdoor music event one block over from rue Bishop, rue Crescent. Noticed there was a Hooters there. Didn't realize there were any left. Nice to be kept abreast of such details. Made it back to the hostel, wondering how I'm going to pack everything without pulling out my inner suitcase, which would risk getting some items refused by Megabus on Monday.

[NOW: Renaud Bray Bazar is now closed. I did manage top pack everything.]

No comments: