Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Pacific Northwest Trip 2017 Day 8 Sunday July 23: Portland to Seattle

UPDATED: February 12, 2021
 
 This is the 8th of a series of posts dealing with my 2017 trip to Portland, Seattle, and vicinity. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports (typos, bits I don’t feel like making public). Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of two years later or to add further clarification.  These are indicated by “NOW”.

At the half way mark now.  Woke up at 1:50 but couldn't get back to sleep (4 hours). Shortly  after I woke up some drunks wandered in. The one below me was hiccuping. My pillow fell off my bunk again. Got up after 4:30, grabbed some discarded brochures, and had breakfast at the nearby McDonald’s. I checked out and lugged my stuff to the BoltBus stop.

Mid trip the driver told me that on Greyhound and affiliate buses including BoltBus you're not allow to record even out of windows due to people abusing the system. So, no you’re not allowed to take a photo of horses on a field. Had an Asperger's related panic attack so I was soon able to resume. I was advised that if I tell them about my disability they should be able to accommodate. Driver didn't know about Greyhound Canada's photo policy.

[NOW; I checked after and the site said you’re not supposed to photograph the driver or bus exterior but I found nothing that said you couldn’t take a photograph out a window.]

There was a notice of long delays at Lacey but we passed early enough to avoid be impacted. In Seattle I took a 7 bus downtown and got a transfer which I used on a 13 bus (all non-BoltBus buses King County Metro Transit). After paying for my room and getting my bags stored (to my amusement a receptionist asked me if it was my first time in Seattle) I took a D Rapidride bus to Ballard.

[NOW: The hostel I stayed at was City Hostel Seattle.]

Passing the Sunday Market, I visited Sonic Boom Records but they weren’t selling any DVDs this time. Found the new location of the not yet open Ballard branch of Twice Sold Tales. I visited the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks, where they raise and lower water levels to let boats travel to/from the sea and Lake Union. But the main reason I was there was to see the Fish Ladder, where you can see salmon  returning home to spawn or at least trying to get at the current home. One had battle scars.

[NOW: I found a small DVD section at Sonic Boom Records the following week.]

I walked to Ballard's McDonald’s for lunch. I took a 44 bus back one stop, noting my transfer had been lost. At the now open Twice Sold Tales the house cat sniffed my bag. I walked to Fremont where I saw the dinosaurs made of wire and greenery, Fremont's own Sunday Market, the badly faded Fremont Rocket (on the side of a building), the larger than life statue of VI Lenin (someone had added a noose and painted a hand blood red), Jive Time Records, Ophelia’s Books (didn't see the  cat, just its food bowl), The Center of the Universe signpost, Rapunzel (I zoomed in on the art of her on the Fremont Bridge), Waiting for the Interurban statue (decorated), and the JP Patches & Gertrude: Late for the interurban state (JP fade looked freshly painted and someone added flowers). I walked uphill to the Fremont Troll under the Aurora Bridge on Troll Ave; used to be a Volkswagen until concrete added). I crossed over to Wallingford (note: Ballard, Fremont, Wallingford are all areas of Seattle) and saw the Wallingford Steps before walking to Gas Works Park, an industrial complex turned family park. Had to wait to use the bathroom: there were no cubicle doors so only wanted the farthest one). I dropped my camera on concrete but it rolled and is okay. A woman who was part of an event noticed I was taking pictures and called out to me, but it was fine: she just asked that I identify the event on any photos I post to social media (Flow Fest).

[NOW: Given later events there appears to have been a delayed reaction to the camera drop.]

I took a 32 bus to near Seattle Centre. I visited Mercer St Books, then the International Fountain at Seattle Center. It was crowded due to Take a Bite Out of Seattle.

Having a fresh transfer I took a bus part way downtown where I visited Zanadu Comics. There was a hole in one of the shoes I bought about two weeks ago and the other shoe wasn’t much better so I bought new shoes from a shoe store.

[NOW: It was a 4 bus. Zanadu Comics has since closed.]

I walked to Pike Place Market; there I visited Left Bank Books, then saw Rachel the Pig from a slight distance. Golden Age Collectables (comics), a novelty shop I hadn’t seen before, BLMF (bookstore), Holy Cow Records (no DVDs this time), and Orange Dracula (novelty shop), It seems that Lionheart Books has closed. I went to First & Pike news and then left Pike Place Market for McDonald's.

[NOW: The novelty shop is Rummage Around. I later found Lionheart Books in a different location in the market. I think it may have moved within the market. First & Pike News has closed.]

I had to pick one of two lines. I picked the slow line and finally left. I went to Westlake Center for food but the food places had closed around 5 and the mall smelled of Lush, too strong for me.

I walked to Pacific Place where I took photos of the scrap metal penguin art piece and visited Barnes & Noble. Heading north, I passed the giant red Popsicle sculpture and had dinner at the Subway in the KOMO Plaza. So busy day by others' standards, a quiet day for me.
 
[NOW: That Barnes & Noble has closed. The penguiin is gone.]

No comments: