Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Pacific Northwest Trip 2017 Day 1 Sunday July 16: Victoria to Seattle

This is the 1st of a series of posts dealing with my 2017 trip to Portland, Seattle, and vicinity. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports (typos, bits I don’t feel like making public). Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of two years later or to add further clarification.  These are indicated by “NOW”.

Last night I taped three camera battery charges and my name to my extension cord so that people would know it doesn't belong to the hostel.

I got up early and walked to the Black Ball Ferry. Immigration was late getting started, so they didn't ask me any questions. I moved some stuff to my smaller backpack as it has two straps, so it would help with the heavy stuff. Arriving in Port Angeles I cleared Customs after a few questions. At Gateway Transit Center I double-checked the time of a bus I planned to take. Found it left 15 minutes earlier than I thought. It wasn’t for a while so i walked to Walgreen's, then McDonald's for breakfast. Normally I wouldn't walk far carrying heavy stuff but I had lots of time to kill so I crossed into Port Angeles East and visited Walmart. Returning to Port Angeles and visiting Port Angeles Plaza, I visited Big Lots and Rite Aid.

I walked to Swain's General Store. When asked I explained I wasn't looking for anything but just killing time before my bus; they gave me a free bag of popcorn made on the premises. I walked to the Rite Aid on Lincoln, then walked east along 8th St, which has some nice aerial views due to the hill.

After passing a deer, I checked out a few garage/yard sales before returned downtown, going up a new-ish lookout. By this point I was starting to get sore. I went to 2nd St which has another view, then visited Port Book and News, then Bay Variety. I walked to Jack in the Box for lunch (I asked for the sweet BBQ sauce but i think they gave me the spicy) then back downtown including Odyssey Books & Gifts. I inquired at the Visitor Info Center if they knew when it was good to be at the bus stop but they didn't know. I passed the Rocktopus (rock octopus sculpture), then went up another lookout, then the Rocktopus again. At a Discovery Center a woman claimed I should be at the stop 45 minutes ahead of time. I stopped off briefly at Gateway Transit Center, walked to the Food Mart at Texaco and got a Texas Sweet Tea. Back at the transit center between the 45 and 30 minute mark I decided to wait, a bit tired, People started arriving not long after.

I took the new 123 The Strait Shot (Clallam Transit; pun likely intended by them) to Bainbridge Island Ferry Terminal; mostly the bus stayed on the highway except brief turnoffs at Sequim and Poulsbo. One of the two ferries has broken down at Bainbridge Island Ferry Terminal but it was supposed to be back in service in 30 minutes, so I went to the Winslow (downtown) area of Bainbridge Island. Backstreet Beat wasn't open but did visit Eagle Harbor Book Co. Returning to the ferry terminal it turned out that the one ferry was still out of service so we had to wait for the only remaining ferry. So I was originally supposed to leave the island at 5:30; finally did just before 7 (after doing a briefly wander and buying a sausage croissant). Normally I get excited as the ferry heads towards Seattle but I was too exhausted by this point to enjoy the experience. Getting off, I walked to Pike Place Market and briefly saw Rachel the Pig(gy bank). I made it to the hostel. The owner left me a hello message being a regular. Briefly getting settled I walked to the International Fountain at Seattle Center and relaxed a while. It looked like a family was doing some sort of photoshoot there.

[NOW: The stops in Sequim and Poulsbo were Sequim Transit Center and North Viking Transit Center, respectively. The hostel I stayed at was City Hostel Seattle.]

A bit hungry now, I got a drink and sub from a nearby 7-11 and walked back to the hostel.

No comments: