Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Pacific Northwest Trip 2018 Day 9 Monday July 23: Seattle, Redmond, Bellevue, Mercer Island

UPDATED: February 12, 2021 

This is the 9th of a series of posts dealing with my 2018 trip to Olympia, Seattle, and vicinity. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports (typos, bits I don’t feel like making public). Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of two years later or to add further clarification.  These are indicated by “NOW”.

Someone in the room was texting with the lights on, and at times having a loud conversation with a friend. Managed to get a bit of sleep before finally turning the lights off when he left the room at 1:15 am. Then at 3:45, a group of young women returned from partying but didn't stay long: I heard one say about one of her friends, "She puked on my bed". They weren't in the room when I got up before six.

I got up and walked to Seattle Center to see the initial clean-up of Take a Bite of Seattle, passing the Chief Sealth statue along the way. After sitting at the International Fountain for a bit, I withdrew some money from a Bank of America machine and then headed downtown, catching a 62 bus (King County Metro Transit) along the way. At Westlake Station, Downtown Transit Tunnel, I took the Link Train (Sound Transit) to University of Washington Station. At the University of Washington I relaxed a bit at Drumheller Fountain before taking the Link train back to Westlake Station, then a 24 bus (King County Metro Transit) to City Hostel Seattle.
 
[NOW: The Central Link train is now Line 1.]

One of the owners, whom I hadn't seen in years, recognized me. After breakfast I took an E Rapidride bus (King County Metro Transit) bus downtown. Waiting for my next bus a guy harassed me including swearIng for taking photos. Ironically i wasn't taking photos: my bus was late and as I told him I was using my camera as binoculars.

Finally the 545 bus (Sound Transit) arrived and I took it to Redmond. I got a couple DVDs from Half Price Books, visited Redmond Town Center (including the fountain with the bears), and McDonald's Book Exchange. It Redmond Transit Center I took a B Rapidride bus (King County Metro Transit) to Crossroads Shopping Center in Bellevue (bus was stuck in traffic and I accidentally got off one stop earlier). There I got a DVD set a Half Price Books. I took another B Rapidride bus to Montlake Park & Ride and then a 249 bus (King County Metro Transit) to Silver Platters, where I got a DVD after first getting some flavoured water from QFC. I walked to downtown Bellevue, where I visited Barnes & Noble and Downtown Park before heading to Bellevue Transit Center.  There I took a 550 bus (Sound Transit) to Mercer Island Park & Ride in Mercer Island. I crossed the highway to I-90 Sculpture Park, had lunch at McDonald's (had a muscle spasm and knocked my trip over) and visited Island Books before returning to the Park & Ride.
 
[NOW: The I-90 Sculpture Park is now the Greta Hackett Outdoor Sculpture Gallery.]

I took a 554 bus (Sound Transit) to Seattle's Pioneer District where I promptly caught a 21 bus (King County Metro Transit) to Seattle's Silver Platters, where I bought quite a few DVDs. I took a 50 bus (King County Metro Transit) to Seward Park. The bathroom stalls there don't have doors so I put my backpack just outside the cubicle to signal it was occupied. I swam at Lake Washington at Seward Park Beach (lifeguards on duty) before walking along the park, getting shots of the lake and Mercer Island. You can walk through the inside of the park but with the poison oak I'd rather not.

I took another 50 bus to Othello Station, where I took a Link train (Sound Transit) to Westlake Station, Downtown Transit Tunnel. I walked to Subway, returned to the hostel for quarters. I grabbed a seltzer from a nearby Rite Aid and then put my clothes in the dryer (actually I might have done the latter before Rite Aid; can't recall). I walked to a viewing area on a deck at the end of Bell Street, just past the Bell Street Bridge, and then returned to the hostel once more.

No comments: