Saturday, July 27, 2019

Pacific Northwest Trip 2018 Day 7 Saturday July 21: Seattle, Sumner, Puyallup

UPDATED: February 12, 2021 

This is the 7th of a series of posts dealing with my 2018 trip to Olympia, Seattle, and vicinity. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports (typos, bits I don’t feel like making public). Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of two years later or to add further clarification.  These are indicated by “NOW”.

Woke up in the middle of the night a bit sore from my injuries, plus I felt a liquid from my elbow. Don't know if it was blood or puss. Around 3 went to the main floor of City Hostel Seattle to surf the Internet in the dining area. The worker suggested downstairs again but a couple was making out there so surfed from the lobby instead before getting a bit more sleep.

I got up and briefly visited the off-leash park Regrade Park, then went to Westlake Station (Downtown Transit Tunnel) for some bus schedules. I visited Washington State Convention Center and then Freeway Park; the fountains weren't on this time. I visited Seattle Ferry Terminal which in the past had schedules and other booklets but they had removed them. I visited Rachel; the Pig(gy bank) at Pike Place Market before returning to the hostel.

After breakfast I grabbed more schedules from Westlake Station and then revisited Pike Place Market, including the now open First and Pike News. Most stores were not yet open but at this time of the day I was still able to wander the lower levels, including the "Giant Shoe Museum" which is a coin operated shoe peep show. I didn't pay this time.
 
[NOW: First & Pike News has closed.]

Leaving the market I took the 578 bus (Sound Transit) to Sumner and walked along Main St, including a visit to A Good Book. With a long delay before the next bus I walked to Puyallup, having lunch at KFC. Only one biscuit instead of two but otherwise same deal as Aberdeen. I wish I had ordered to go because there was a vintage car show. I could have taken the next bus but service is hourly on Saturday. I took another 578 bus back to downtown Seattle, fighting sleep on the ride (I was more than awake enough to tell that people were trying to cheat the bus driver to no avail), then after a bit of a delay took a 2 bus (King County Metro Transit) to the east side.

I saw Howell Park, which proved to be a very small nudie park. Given I didn't plan to join in I didn't linger long. Another park Denny Blaine Park was more anything goes, one or two picnicking families, some in swimsuits like myself, and others, yes skyclad. But this park was more spacious and more people wearing something so I felt more comfortable here. A bit tired and sore from my spill yesterday, I rested here a few hours, swimming in Lake Washington. Very laid back, the skyclad people didn't hassle those of us who had clothes on. It's a beautiful park and wish I could have taken more photos there, but given the nature if the park, I think it would have ceased to be laid back had I attempted to photograph it the way I normally do parks I visit. I felt less sore after leaving so my body probably needed the recovery.

I took another 2 bus to near Seattle Center. At the International Fountain, there was still live music from the Take a Bite Out of Seattle event. I left briefly to see if anyone had moved into the old location of Silver Platters, hoping that another music and video store had moved in. Instead it was demolished. I grabbed dinner to go at McDonald's and returned to Seattle Center and the fountain. Paramedics were helping a kid while the police watched. People including a kid nearby were blowing soap bubbles. Due to the latter girl I managed to get some nice shots of bubbles coming at me with the fountain in the background.

 I returned to the hostel and had internet connections and in fact the internet went down entirely. After I was finally able to login after about twenty minutes (another woman was having the same issues), I confirmed that the only Visa purchases today were from my backup card with the stripe worn off, so no one's been using the card as I wait until Monday to find out if Sound Transit has it.

[NOW: My lost credit card never turned up but has since expired.]

No comments: