Saturday, July 27, 2019

Pacific Northwest Trip 2018 Day 6 Friday July 20: Seattle, Tacoma, Parkland, Spanaway

UPDATED: February 12, 2021 

This is the 6th of a series of posts dealing with my 2018 trip to Olympia, Seattle, and vicinity. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports (typos, bits I don’t feel like making public). Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of two years later or to add further clarification.  These are indicated by “NOW”.

Typing this in Notepad due to connection issues, possibly caused by AVG. I got up and visited Kerry Park Viewpoint, probably the best free place to get a few aerial shots of Seattle. I then Walked to Olympic Sculpture park, along the way seeing a sculpture of a giant hand holding a paddle ball paddle. At Olympic Sculpture Park I saw the usual subjects, including Love and Loss, with its rotating ampersand. and the Father and son statue. Since the father and son facing each other are naked, sometimes obscured by water, and the sculpture is realistic looking, I suspect that the name of the art piece hides the real point of the piece.

[NOW: I started out for the day from City Hostel Seattle.]

I dropped a few things off at the hostel, then walked to Pike place Market and saw Rachel the Pig(gybank). At Target I got black Lightning season 1 on Blu-ray; for some reason it doesn't seem to be available in Canada but it was on sale at Target. I returned to the hostel for breakfast.

I took a 62 bus (King County Metro Transit) bus back downtown and then a 594 bus (Sound Transit). One person got on without paying at first, then another guy got on the bus but got off when he asked if he had to pay and was told yes.

I got off the bus at Union Station Tacoma, and visited the Bridge of Glass, which isn't made of glass but does have glass displays. Someone made a tribute on the bridge for someone they hadn't met, completed with flowers, so I suspect they might have seen someone jump sadly. I visited the University Bookstore, then walked up and down the stairs of University of Washington Tacoma.

[NOW: I checked later and my suspicions were confirmed unfortunately.]

I took a 1 bus (Pierce Transit) a little ways until it  ran out of water and broke down; the guy in front of me  had a cop with images of gun and bullet holes with "I don't call 911".

I walked to my next stop, American Pawnbrokers; the next bus passed me when i was two blocks away. I walked some more, finding at one bus stop a Chick Tract (comics that promote a fire and brimstone version of Christianity).  I jogged ahead some more stops to kill time; just before a stop I was going to stop at anyway, I tripped and fell, protecting my camera and backpack with backup camera, but getting a bit bloody in the process.

I took another 1 Pierce Transit bus to All in One Jewelry and Loans where I got a couple movies.  I visited a Cash America (chain that used to be Pawn X-change) and E-Z Loans (latter not open when I arrived), then took a third 1 bus to Topkick Loans in I think Parkland. More walking then a fourth bus to Spanaway Park in Spanaway. I debated whether to visit but it's partly a golf course so I decided to just walk to Godfather Pizza for a lunch buffet; they gave me some adhesive bandages.

[NOW: Topkick is in fact in Parkland.]

I bought more DVDs at nearby Home Video Express than I would have otherwise because it turned out to be closing. I took a fifth 1 bus back north to near parkland Transit Center, probably in Parkland, where I took a 55 bus (Pierce Transit) to Tacoma Mall in Tacoma. I cut through JP Penny and got pics of a life-sized Batman statue at fye. Leaving the mall I visited Atomic Comics. For one intersection the walk signal buttons were in the middle of the road, but still managed to cross to a shopping area where I visited Dollar Tree (got a pop) and Half Price Books (got lots of DVDs).

I took a 57 bus (Pierce Transit) to downtown Tacoma.  I walked to Destiny Comics and Kings Books; I petted the cat who meowed at me first. I took a 13 bus (Pierce Transit) to Backstage Video, then took the same bus the other way to Tacoma Dome station. I visited Tacoma Book Center and then took a 590 bus (Sound Transit) to downtown Seattle, where I noticed my credit card was missing. I have no phone access but a friend is helping me investigate, but if was dropped on a bus in Tacoma, on the 590, or at Tacoma Dome station might not know until Monday. I took a C Rapidride then 5 bus north and got dinner at the McDonald's across from Seattle Center.

[NOW: The credit card never turned up but has since expired. Backstage Video has closed.]

I  relaxed at the International Fountain at Seattle Center, but didn't take as many photos as usual, a bit tired from my injuries and distracted by the credit card thing. Live music and food trucks all over due to the Take a Bite Out of Seattle event. I returned to the hostel. Had to restart computer because AVG was interfering with my internet connection.

No comments: