Saturday, July 27, 2019

Pacific Northwest Trip 2018 Day 2 Monday July 16: Port Angeles to Olympia & Area

UPDATED: February 12, 2021 

This is the 2nd of a series of posts dealing with my 2018 trip to Olympia, Seattle, and vicinity. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports (typos, bits I don’t feel like making public). Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of two years later or to add further clarification.  These are indicated by “NOW”.

Only got about three hours sleep. Partly new environment/not used to others being in room while I sleep, but new cell is power guzzlers and no outlet by my bed so was preoccupied with making sure it lasted today. So I'm typing this mostly to kill time as phone charges.

Dog owned by one of the hostel workers wandered around a bit, mostly wanting to be let outside to be with its human dad. Didn't want to socialize with me much but did come over once for a quick lick and let me pet it for a second. Bathroom floor map, probably to keep people from slipping as they exit the shower, has beer caps attached all over.

Phone won't be charged before I want to leave but if it does shut down I can use my camera as a timepiece.

[NOW: The above was written in the morning. The rest was written in the evening.]

I left ToadLily House at around sunrise and did a short walk along downtown Port Angeles; someone was already at Port Book and News, likely related to a broken window. At Gateway Transit Center I took a 30 Commuter bus (Clallam Transit) to Sequim ("e" is silent); en route I passed Fred's Guns, which still had up its banner "We sell AR15s because we're not Dick's" (Dick's Sporting Goods stopping selling ARs after the Florida shootings); I'm anti-ARs myself but have to admit that's a good pun. I had breakfast at McDonald's.

[NOW: That McDonald’s has since changed its interior layout. Fred's Guns is in Carlsborg, though with a Sequim address.]

I walked to Sequim Public Restrooms; loud classic music there as usual, likely to discourage loitering. At Sequim Transit Center I took an 8 bus (Jefferson Transit; got daypass) to the Four Corners transit exchange just south of Port Townsend. There a woman with a disability asked me if we have cops and illegal activities in Canada; I said we're very comparable to the US that way in the broad sense. She said that someone told her we didn't so it must have changed. I didn't have the heart to tell her that someone must have pranked her. I took a 1 bus (Jefferson Transit) to Triton Cover, Brinnon; along the way I saw a Burger Shack whose front looked like the nose of an airplane. I got some nice shots of the water at the cove.

I took an 8 bus (Mason Transit) to Shelton. Along the way a couple outside a car and not at a stop waved at her. She was going too fast to stop so she radioed in. At a later stop they caught up to us. It turns out the woman wanted to get on and her boyfriend(?) started cussing at the driver. The woman threatened to report the driver but then was quiet the rest of the trip. In Shelton, thankfully avoiding an hours long layover like my visit years ago resulting from a schedule, I was able to get on a 6 bus (Mason Transit) in short order; I considered going to a nearby Bank of America (Scotiabank is affiliated with them) but decided not to chance it.

I took this bus to Olympia, grabbed some money at Bank of America, and dropped off my stuff at Ground Inn (a hostel); the woman didn't want the money at that point; I wrote down the entry code. I walked to a nearby McDonald's. It took a while to prepare so I packed most of the food and walked to a nearby bus stop. I got on a 66 bus (all buses rest of the day Intercity Transit). This is the route to Lacey that passes a cemetery near Phoenix Rd, optimistically enough.

[NOW: Ground Inn has closed. This particular McDonald’s is on Plum Rd. There are two others in Olympia]

I got off in Lacey, where I visited Olympic Cards & Comics. I wanted to visit Boomerang because it's closing (music, movies) but it's not open Mondays; slim chance I'll get there tomorrow. I took the next bus that came along, 68, a slightly indirect route back to Olympia, specifically Olympia Transit Center. There I really had to go but the men's washroom was locked and the ladies was unlocked. When it looked like another impatient guy was about to use it I decided to go for it, since I was in severe distress and the bathrooms are basically the unisex type. I wouldn't normally do it but it was that or mess myself. As I exited a woman declared how she hates going to the bathroom after a f--king man; well, it was upset her or upset pretty much everyone else.

[NOW: I wasn’t able to make it to Boomerang before they closed down.]

I took a 48 bus to Capital (sic) Mall. I missed a shortcut I wanted but still made it to my next destinations, Barnes & Noble and Half Price Books Outlet (got a DVD at the latter). I nearly made it back to the mall using the shortcut, but saw a 47 bus about the turn the corner so I took it to Heritage Fountain, which has jets shooting up. I cooled off there and then walked to Danger Room Comics, Browsers' Bookstore,  Rainy Day Records (I bought some movies), Orca Books (took pics of the perennially sleeping cat), Star Wars Mural, Left Bank Books.
 
[NOW: Orca Books has moved.]

Returning to Olympia Transit Center, I took the 94 bus to Yelm, fighting the urge to nod off; Yelm is okay, but don't need to revisit. At A Novel Bookstore, I bought some Blu-rays. The guy said my credit card declined so I paid cash. That woke me up a bit, but that's not the first time that's happened so I made myself reserve judgement until the next place. I wandered along and then took a 94 bus back to the hostel.

I paid cash as per their preference. I wanted to have dinner at Jack in the Box near the McDonald's I ate at earlier, but it was being renovated so I returned to the earlier McDonald's; my credit card worked. I walked back to the fountain; I didn't go in though one woman went in in her underwear; not really my type. Was careful not to take too many photos; even without her the kids there make it a place I don't want to take too many photos of and give people the wrong idea.

I walked along Capitol Lake and took a winding path to the make area of the Washington State Capitol; I sat briefly at Tivoli Fountain. I was pretty beat so even though it was not yet 7, I just wandered a little bit  more including the Olympia Timberwood Library before returning to the hostel around 7.

No comments: