Saturday, July 27, 2019

Pacific Northwest Trip 2018 Day 1 Sunday July 15: Victoria to Port Angeles

UPDATED: February 12, 2021 

This is the 1st of a series of posts dealing with my 2018 trip to Olympia, Seattle, and vicinity. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports (typos, bits I don’t feel like making public). Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of two years later or to add further clarification.  These are indicated by “NOW”.

Most of the first little bit I'm writing before my trip begins but not sending until after because otherwise there isn't going to be much to talk about today.

My main camera broke down recently. I do have two backup cameras, but one uses different batteries and charges, so more to take with me now. Also, my cell battery stopped working so I had to get a new cell phone and figure out how to make the alarm work. 
 
[NOW: My main camera worked throughout the trip.]

I've packed some clothes in bread bags turned inside out so that they take up less space. I've also put a partly folding suitcase inside my larger suitcase so I don't worry about being too crammed. I tend to bring back a lot of the free newspapers, so that takes up a lot of the space.

I visited Black Ball Ferry Terminal ahead of time and got my ferry tickets before the line gets too big. Would have preferred to wait until I get back to get the return ticket, but Border people prefer Canadians to prepay the tickets. Also phoned Scotiabank to let them know not to flag my cards.

Due to some of the questions asked by the Border guy on the way to Port Angeles on July 2, I've brought along proof that I volunteer at Pacific Peoples' Partnerships, as well my usual itinerary, maps, etc. The next paragraph starts the stuff written after I embarked on the trip.

Having connection issues at hostel but did make it across okay. Despite the line, Border check went pretty smoothly. On the Coho/Black Ball Ferry trip to Port Angeles I saw small dolphins(?) and a seal. I waited a bit too long to start to get in line to exit and they let people off on both sides of the roped off area of the ferry but the line through Customs on the Port Angeles side went pretty smoothly. The guy I spoke to recognized me from recently, no doubt my July 2 daytrip to Port Angeles and area.

I crossed through Gateway Transit Center (other than one trip each way to/from Bainbridge, there are no buses on Sunday in Port Angeles). I dropped off my stuff at ToadLily Hostel but was told to pay later. I walked to Port Angeles Plaza's Big Lots and Rite Aid, then crossed the street to McDonald's for dinner. On the way back downtown I visited Walgreen's. Heading to the waterfront, I climbed an observation tower for the view, both directions passing the Rocktopus (yes, an octopus made of rocks).

Passing through Gateway again I passed some stores that are closed until tomorrow and then climbed some stairs from 1st to 2nd Ave. There's a stretch of 2nd Ave where I got some nice photos of the waterfront from the top of the hill. I briefly returned to the hostel because I had forgotten earlier to put anything on the bed I wanted. After doing so, I walked to Goodwill and another Rite Aid, then AM/PM. Walking to 8th Ave, I crossed a couple of bridges up high. There were crisis line numbers on poles on the bridges. I can't say for sure that anyone has jumped, but the railings are easy to climb and the drop is far, so it's likely sadly. Past the bridges (maybe just one but I think after both) there used to be a video store/tanning salon but it's been gone so long I can no longer recall the name of it.

[NOW: I later confirmed that someone did in fact jump. The closed store was Westside Video.]

Crossing back I visited Safeway. Inside there was a Ms. Pac-Man lottery screen, which I also previously saw at a Sequim QFC. It didn't make me want to play the lottery but it did make me want to play Ms. Pac-Man. I then returned to the hostel and paid the bill. It took a while but I was finally able to get into gmail and open the email I started earlier.

Tomorrow I head to Olympia. The route I took three years ago isn’t practical due to bus timing changes (would still work but would get in later) so it will be a different route this time.

No comments: