Saturday, July 27, 2019

Pacific Northwest Trip 2018 Day 5 Thursday July 19: Olympia, Seattle, Auburn, Enunclaw, Federal Way, Fife

UPDATED: February 12, 2021 

This is the 5th of a series of posts dealing with my 2018 trip to Olympia, Seattle, and vicinity. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports (typos, bits I don’t feel like making public). Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of two years later or to add further clarification.  These are indicated by “NOW”.

I got up early to plan for a bit of today. I walked to the Capitol and walked up the steps of the main building.  I took the usual path down to Capitol Lake and glimpsed a rabbit. I crossed a bridge to the west side and back. Had a bit more PTSD as I wandered the waterfront, where I saw many art pieces including a giant knife with a giant form holding a giant Strawberry. I walked along 4th to the Star Wars Mural and then doubled-back to Capitol St and worked by way back to Ground Inn.
 
[NOW: Ground Inn has closed.]

I don't think I've gone into the history of this trip in a group email. I was going to go to Spokane but no hostel there. Then it was one day in Port Angeles, three days in Olympia, three days in Tacoma, rest of time in Seattle. Only I couldn't get a firm commitment from a Tacoma hostel despite multiple attempts. Instead I moved those days to Seattle and heavily revised my itinerary, but a lot of the earlier plans remain. It's no coincidence that the next three days will focus heavily on areas south of Seattle.

[NOW: The above was written in the morning. The rest was written in the evening.]

I had breakfast at Ground Inn and then walked to Olympic Transit Center, where I took a 603 bus (Intercity Transit) to Discount World in Lakewood, which is being used as a temporary stop with the SR512 Park & Ride in repairs. I took a 594 bus (Sound Transit) to Seattle, using a prepaid daypass on my ORCA card; in Tacoma I managed to switch to the front seat. Getting off by Westlake Center, I walked to City Hostel Seattle and checked in. The room wasn't ready but I was able to store my baggage.

A bit ahead of schedule, I decided to take the 578 bus (Sound Transit) half an hour earlier than planned to Auburn Transit Center in Auburn to allow more time to wander there. Hills of Comics I knew wouldn't be open when I got there, but unfortunately it appears that some sort of emergency also closed for the day Comstock Books (it had a cat last I knew). It took a while to find a Burger King I had been to before for lunch; before I found it I visited Cascade Loan & Sporting Goods. I ordered to go at Burger King and returned to Auburn Transit Center, where I took a 915 Dart bus (King County Metro Transit) to Enumclaw.

[NOW: Comstock has since closed down.]

Enumclaw has a bit of a reputation due to an incident just outside of the town limits. It seems that some people there... really love their horses, and the fatal incident involving a guy calling himself Mr. Hands that brought this to light... the human body can handle lots of force of course, but not when the force comes from a male horse of course. If you are not sure what i am getting at, Google "Enumclaw horse" but don't do so at work.

The McDonald's there was under renovations so it's good that I didn't try to eat there as planned. I got some 99c DVDs at Enumclaw Bargain Center, including an Emmy submission set.  Very hard to find and no idea how one wound up in Enumclaw.

[NOW: The store above is also called Enumclaw Video and Pawn.]

The downtown core, where I got an Enumclaw guide book from Visitor's Info, has a statue of a horse in front of public restrooms (I got a laugh out of that given the unintended symbolism there). I visited Sequel Books and Espresso. Now here's the plot twist: while I wouldn't have visited had its reputation not made me curious, the downtown is actually very beautiful and the buildings are the archetypal small town America. So I actually recommend visiting here and will be back for sure. I'd have stayed longer, but the bus is hourly and I had lots I wanted to do today. I would have stayed longer though had the bus service been half hourly.

I took the same 915 bus back to Auburn Station, then transferred to a 578 bus (Sound Transit) bus to Federal Way Transit Center in Federal Way. I visited Action City Comics & Toys and took shots of the space where Al's Music Games Videos used to be. It's still fenced off from last year's fire but the debris is gone now. I visited West Coast Sports Cards, decided to skip Barnes & Noble after realizing I had overshot it, then took a 500 bus (Pierce Transit) to Fantasium Comics & Games. I wandered around, having to wait a while for the next 500 bus. I would have tried dashing to the next stop but there was construction.

It finally came and took it to Fife, where I got an ice team from a 7-11. I wandered to explore the sections on both the north and south ends highway in between) but there didn't appear to be any way for pedestrians to do so. Another 500 bus heading to Tacoma went by sooner than expected, but managed to snag one going the other way back to Federal Way Transit Center, where I took the 578 Sound Transit bus yet again, to near Westlake Center. Fife put me a bit on edge, didn't feel right so I wouldn't attempt the north end again.

I took an E Rapidride bus (King County Metro Transit) to near my hostel, where I got my key card and dropped off some things. I walked to Seattle Center, where I took a quick look at the International Fountain before having dinner at Mod Pizza in Seattle Center Armory. I returned to the fountain and rested there a while, watching the water jet and enjoying the music. Not many people there as it's been overcast all day. According to one song the bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle. That may be true but they're often covered by clouds so it's hard to tell sometimes. Sitting there I noticed a minor snag for tomorrow regarding an opening time but think I have a solution there that won't radically alter my plans.

I cut through Center House and left Seattle Center, on the way passing Sonic Bloom. The conceit is the giant flowers looking like sunflowers make musical sounds; last trip I figured out that it's really the discs beside the flowers. I walked to 7-11 then to Rite Aid, where i got ID'd buying beer. I told the guy I like being ID'd now that I'm in my 40s. Arriving back in the hostel, I found a woman sitting on my bed playing with her handheld device; probably from the bunk above me.  She moved when she saw me but didn't apologize. I didn't press this even though I found it was rude to sit on someone else's bed without asking. I did spread things on my bed before heading downstairs to type this. Hope she takes the hint.

[NOW: No further incidents with her.]

No comments: