Thursday, August 8, 2019

Pacific Northwest Trip 2018 Day 10 Tuesday July 24: Seattle, Bellingham, Mt. Vernon, Burlington

UPDATED: February 12, 2021 

This is the 10th of a series of posts dealing with my 2018 trip to Olympia, Seattle, and vicinity. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports (typos, bits I don’t feel like making public). Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of two years later or to add further clarification.  These are indicated by “NOW”.

Cut my early morning walk a little short because today might be the most challenging day of the trip and I want to be rested for it.

Got up and visited Seattle Center, with the International Fountain as expected closed for cleaning. Walked to the nearly Bartell Drugs and Metropolitan Market, then briefly returned to Seattle Center. Worked my way downtown to Pike Place Market and got a particularly nice shot of Rachel the Pig(gy bank). Passed the gum wall (blech) to the former location of the hostel I stayed at the first year, the now-closed Youth Hostel International hostel on Union St; years later YHI opened a new hostel in the International District. Returned to Pike Place Market before returning to City Hostel Seattle.

[NOW: The International District Hostel, which I’ve never stayed at, is American Hotel.]

Other updates: Kept forgetting to mention: in Olympia they disable the street lights in the morning, presumably to allow faster travel during low traffic periods. Still suffering from PTSD from events outside the trip this year; this will likely continue but I don't want to bog the reports down mentioning each instance. Camera still working okay since fixing itself. One shoe is falling apart, but only on the side, so feet comfortable more or less. Physically largely feeling okay from my spill, though I bumped my bad elbow yesterday. Back section of backpack with the bad zipper still splitting open from time to time. I can always correct this but sometimes it takes a few tries, which is partly why I'm risking leaving my backup camera at the hostel today.

[NOW: The above was written in the morning. The rest was written in the evening. The backpack and shoes have since been replaced.]

After breakfast at City Hostel Seattle I took a 5x bus (King County Metro Transit) downtown, where I transferred to a 512 bus (Sound Transit) to Everett Station in Everett. It was a doubledecker bus, my first such ride in the Seattle area, and I snagged a front seat.

In Everett Station I got on a 90x bus (Skagit Transit). The driver couldn't figure out how to set the bus for a Skagit-Whatcom daypass, so he let me ride for free, hoping the next bus would solve it. I got off at Skagit Station in Mt. Vernon, and switched to an 80x bus. I accidentally left my camera case with phone, credit card, ORCA card and backup Visa card on the 90x bus but another passenger noticed and brought it over. I bought the above daypass.

I took the 80x bus to Lincoln Park & Ride to Bellingham, where I switched to a 5 bus (Whatcom Transit) to the Fairhaven area. A crazy lady and her partner got on and instead of sitting in one of the many empty seating areas on the bus she opted to sit where she partly blocked my exit. Still managed to get off. Moondance Comics is closed Monday-Wednesday but I did visit Village Books and Eclipse Books.

I took a 1 bus (Whatcom Transit) to Bellingham Station (downtown) and briefly left downtown for lunch at McDonald's.  I'm not sure where downtown actually begins but I worked my way there via Cosmic Games, Henderson Books (probably downtown at this point), and Aladdin's Antiques (on a lower level of a different antique store whose name escapes me). Comics Place looked familiar so I suspect that it was a comic shop I visited in the 1980s; the woman working there said it opened thirty years ago so the timing sounds right.

[NOW: Cosmic Games has moved. The other store in the same building as Aladdin’s Antiques is Penny Lane Antique Mall.]

Great Northern Books claimed at the entrance to be an adult shop. Here is where my autism did something interesting: I looked in and couldn't spot any actual books so I left, but I couldn't tell you what was actually there, be it adult toys or other things; it wasn't anything that I was looking for so I didn't take in what was there. I did consider reentering but decided I didn't want to know. I visited Avalon Music, then after a brief visit to Bellingham Station, bought a few DVDs at Everyday Music (part of the same chain found in Greater Portland and in Seattle). I walked to a Public Market and bought a DVD at Mt. Baker Books. I exited the market and reentered through a different entrance to another store a bit separate from the rest, which is about to move: Film is Truth 24 Times a Second. Bought some DVDs there; I don't think I've ever visited a video store with that long a name before.

[NOW: Avalon Music has closed. The market, Bellingham Public Market is now closed with Mt. Baker Books along with it. However, Film is Truth 24 Times a Second has relocated.]

I did some random wandering around and then returned to Bellingham Station, where I got on an 80x bus (this time Whatcom Transit,  but same routing as the earlier Skagit Transit bus; throughout the day Whatcom buses had trouble with my pass, but still managed to get on. After getting on I noticed my passport was missing.

Returning to Skagit Station, I checked there for the passport but it wasn't there. I then had to wait to explore Mt. Vernon due to a long train passing by.  I got a map at Visitor Info and then visited Easton books.  I ended up skipping Edgewater Park for time (also Kmart in Bellingham). I walked a ways and took a 205 bus (Skagit Transit; no pass issues) north a ways; a 208 bus would have been better but the timing didn't work. I walked the rest of the way to comic shop Docking Bay 93. I then crossed a bridge over Skagit River to Burlington, where I bought dinner at McDonald's before returning to Mt. Vernon. It was a while before the next 208 bus came so I walked a ways and caught the 205 again instead to Skagit Station. I transferred to the 90x bus (Skagit Transit) where the driver explained that the bus wasn't  good on buses to and from Everett. I paid $2 more and got off in Everett Station.

[NOW: The Kmart that I didn’t get to has since closed.]

I got on another 512 bus (Sound Transit) and again got the front seat, though mid way I needed to move over to the side for another passenger. I got off at Westlake Station and rummaged through my luggage for my passport. No luck there or in my locker, but I lifted the mattress at the wall side of the bed and found it much to my relief. The other people in the dorms had been curious but when I showed them the passport they understood why I had been frantically rummaging around. I had two bottles in the fridge filled with water and drank them both, a bit dehydrated.

No comments: