Friday, May 26, 2023

Pacific Northwest Trip 2022 Day 9 July 25 Portland to Seattle

 

This is the 9th in a series of posts covering my trip to the US Pacific Northwest in 2022, adapting emails originally sent to friends. I use NOW to refer to any updates since I did the trip.

 

[NOTE: There are things I don’t want to post about publicly, particularly in the first part of the original email. The short version is I went for a short walk the night before, then early in the morning walked from Northwest Portland Hostel to Mill Ends Park and back. Circumstances arose that I could not get the morning Flixbus to Seattle that I planned to.]

 

The next free Amtrak wasn't until around 7 pm but a Greyhound was to leave at 9:50. [I bought a ticket and then walked to Salmon Street Springs and step into the water jets.]

 

I snagged the first place in line at the Greyhound stop. People arrived and eventually people were told that the bus was late to the point of arrive at 2:40 pm. I went to a nearby Subway for lunch. I returned and a woman agreed to watch my stuff as I went for walk. I returned to the springs and got soaked again. I didn't want to do much wandering beyond that so I returned to the stop and only leave the area for replenishing drinking water. One person seeing that I was overheating gave me a Coke. Eventually it turned out that the Greyhound wouldn't arrive at all today, though a Flixbus was coming at 3. A woman heard me panicking because I had no phone service and would likely lose my hostel room, and with her daughter's help bought me a ticket. I didn't have money to give her so I gave her my email in case she ever needs a favour.

 

I made it to Seattle. At the Green Tortoise Hostel the guy who checked my photos a few days ago seemed pleased that I did return for a seven day stretch. I got some money at a Bank of America ATM (they partner with Scotiabank) and walked to Seattle Settle, visiting the International Fountain, grabbing dinner at Mod Pizza, and eating it at the fountain, keeping an eye on a hungry seagull. I returned to the hostel and started laundry but due to losing those eight hours, it might be after midnight before I can get the laundry taken out of the dryer and I want to get up before 6 for tomorrow's plans.

No comments: