Friday, February 12, 2021

Eastern Canada Trip 2019 Day 3 September 9 Toronto

This is the third in a series of posts covering my trip to Eastern Canada in September 2019, adapting emails originally sent to friends. I use NOW to refer to any updates since I did the trip.

Had a nice chat with others in the room last night. Woke up briefly at night but otherwise "slept in" to 6:20. Walked to Bloor and had breakfast at McDonald's at Bloor/Ossington. Receipt machine work. Passed by by a restaurant named Buk Chang Dong Soon Tofu. Hmm, I'm concerned that tofu might have meat in it. At Bloor-Yonge I bought a daypass for later. I walked up Yonge St. One construction sign said that the construction started in "Jully" (sic). I made it to Finch Station, one of the terminus stations and took the 1 train (all transportation today Toronto Transit) to Lawrence Station. A 124 arrived as I did and I took it to Videoflicks. A 41 bus arrived as I finished there and I took it to Eglinton Station.
 
[NOW: The hostel was Parkdale Hostellerie. Videoflicks has closed.]

At BMV Books on Yonge I bought a Mr. Show DVD set. It gets talked about a lot on Breaking Bad commentaries due to Bob Odenkirk. I took a 1 train from Eglinton to St Clair Station, visited Book City, then took a 512 Streetcar to Gunn Loop.

Nearby I took an 89 bus to Keele Station and a 2 train to Kipling Station. I took a 124 bus to near part of the Toronto/Mississauga border, crossed over and passed Etobicoke Creek, crossed back shortly thereafter and walked to the McDonald's I always pass when arriving in Toronto from Victoria.. No kiosk and a nearby DQ didn't have a deal I wanted so continued on. near some construction I asked directions on switching from Dundas St to Bloor St. Good thing I asked or I'd have gone the wrong way. With the construction it still took me a while to get to Bloor but I made it.

A long while later I passed 2 for 1 Movies again and considered going in but was late for lunch and didn't want to get caught up in that. I did briefly go into Book City and then went to the Bloor/Runnymede McDonald's from last night. Tried a different kiosk I think. no luck with receipt.
 
[NOW: 2 for 1 Movies has closed down.]

I had undercalculated my timings so glad I did some of the stuff yesterday. I took a 2 train from Runnymede to the Yonge section of Bloor-Yonge Station. I could have taken it further, but I hit a walk I wanted to do. I made it to where Bloor becomes Danforth. I wanted to go to Mike's Music but today's itinerary was supposed to be tomorrow's until I changed things to accommodate a meet and forgot to change Monday's closed destinations. I'll get another chance at that one.

I visited a third Book City, Re: Reading, Game Centre (bought the final season of Nikita on Blu-ray, completing that set), and Circus Books and Music. noticed that a 7-11 near a hostel I stayed at before, The Only Backpacker's Inn was gone. Took a 2 train (which hit delays) to Kennedy Station and from there a 3 above ground train to McCowan Station.

The 16 bus was I think very late. One showed up full and another showed up right after almost full, so I took that one to near comic Room/Paperback Exchange. First time there but sadly another casualty of the switch to Monday. Won't get to it this trip again. I took a 54 then a 43A bus to Kennedy Commons. Visited Deja Vu Discs and noticed the Chapters there hadn't switched to indigo like most. I took a 43 bus to Kennedy Station, then a 2 train to the Yonge section of Bloor-Yonge Station, then a 1 train to Dundas Station. I grabbed dinner at the McDonald's I went to often when staying nearby in 2016. Their kiosk worked for receipts. Tied 3-all. Visited Yonge-Dundas Squrae, which no longer had the weekend event. Across the street at Toronto Eaton Centre was a group of preachers, one with a megaphone. My feeling as an agnostic is they're part of the atmosphere of the area. It wouldn't be the same if they were gone.

I got ona 501 streetcar that had a cute puppy. Without the leash it would have gotten off too soon. The woman of a young duo got on the streetcar as the doors were closing but the guy was took late. Security checked everyone's passes and caught at least two (unrelated) women. No issue with my daypass of course

A bit tired, I got off too soon, so jogged a ways and took another to near the hostel.

 

No comments: