Thursday, August 8, 2019

Pacific Northwest Trip 2018 Day 16 Monday July 29: Seattle, Poulsbo, Port Townsend, Sequim, Port Angeles, Victoria

UPDATED: February 12, 2021 

This is the 16th and final of a series of posts dealing with my 2018 trip to Olympia, Seattle, and vicinity. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports (typos, bits I don’t feel like making public). Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of two years later or to add further clarification.  These are indicated by “NOW”. This final report was actually written the following day.

I was in a partly asleep state all day yesterday. Starting around 12:30 am my body kept waking me to check the time. I checked out of City Hostel Seattle and walked to the downtown McDonald's, looking forward to their breakfast meal which I hadn't had since day 2. However they weren't open and no one was managing their intercom orders. I finally grabbed a couple breakfast biscuits from a nearly 7-11. I briefly visited Rachel the Pig(gybank) at Pike Place Market before making my way to Seattle Ferry Terminal; I think it was during this part of the segment I started noticing damage to the bottom of my main suitcase, likely from all the free papers etc. I got.

I got there just in time to take the earlier of two ferries I could have taken to Bainbridge Island Ferry Terminal. From there I took a 90 bus (Kitsap Transit) to North Viking Transit Center in Poulsbo. I was tempted to get off earlier and walk to downtown Poulsbo and back, as it has a nice Norwegian look to it, but I was too weighed down. The 7 bus (Jefferson Transit) arrived early enough that I could put my bags on board, walk to the Arco gas station across the street from the transit center for a soda and still make it back with plenty of time to spare.

Having purchased a day pass the first time I boarded, I took this 7 bus to Haines Park & Ride in Port Townsend and transferred to an 8 bus (also Jefferson Transit) to Sequim Transit Center in Sequim. I then took a 30 Commuter bus (Clallam Transit) to Port Angeles. During all three of these bus rides, sleep was catching up to me, so I found myself trying to take photos while trying to figure out what thoughts were real and not. I bought some movies from E-Z Pawn. Since they had previously let me store luggage there I asked again and they agreed. I walked to Port Angeles Plaza and go fliers from Rite Aid and Big Lots. I then noticed that earlier in the walk my memory card had filled up, so I lost a few photos.
 
[NOW: Sometimes I have to transfer at Four Corners before Port Townsend due to connection timings, but if I can connect in Port Townsend, that's my preference.]

I crossed the street to a KFC/Taco Bell combo. On the ride into town I had noticed they had the KFC deal I wanted for $5. I had to pay with cash because their card reader wasn't working and my backup credit card's stripe was long gone. It's amazing how many people still attempt to swipe with my card multiple times despite the stripe being mostly white space now. I briefly visited Port News and Books and, not having the time or desire to explore Port Angeles further in my tired state, walked to Black Ball Ferry Terminal. While in line to board the ferry, the rod that you extend to help use the wheels of my main suitcase partly tore off the suitcase, so I couldn't use that rod further or else I would have pulled it off the suitcase entirely. I cleared Customs in Victoria no problem and made it home. I think it was just before or after 7 that I fell asleep, ironically waking up this morning around the time I normally did during my trip.

No comments: