Friday, May 26, 2023

Pacific Northwest Trip 2022 Day 15 July 31 Seattle

 

This is the 15th in a series of posts covering my trip to the US Pacific Northwest in 2022, adapting emails originally sent to friends. I use NOW to refer to any updates since I did the trip.

 

In the morning I walked along the parade route to Seattle Center, getting what few takedown shots there were still left to find. I walked across the Bell Street Bridge to go to the observation deck but it wasn't yet 7 when the deck opened. I walked to Pike Place Market and saw Rachel the Pig. After breakfast at the Green Tortoise Hostel (I got permission to toss a leaky cup) I walked back ti the observation deck but it was still locked. I walked to Olympic Sculpture Park and Myrtle Edwards Park for the second time this trip and then returned to the deck. Still closed. I walked to the Washington State Ferries terminal to get a sense of my impending return and then walked through the Pioneer Square district where I visited the concrete Occidental Park with a firefighters sculpture and Waterfall Garden Park, a tiny park with artificial waterfalls.

 

Back downtown I visited Target and then took a 28 bus (both buses today King County Metro Transit) to Magnolia Bookstore. It wasn't yet open and didn't feel like sticking around. I almost intercepted the same bus heading to my next destination but got distracted by a 25c newspaper machine that didn't give me the paper and the bus went by.

 

I walked to Seattle's biggest park, Discovery Park and visited the beach. Getting out proved complicated. I made it to Daybreak Star Indian Cultural Center.(their choice of words re: Indian, not mine). I think there was a wedding happening there or something similar. Regardless photo ops more limited than usual. I finally escaped from the park and made my way to the Fish Ladder at Hiram M. Chittenden Locks. I crossed the locks and revisited Ballard's Twice Sold Tales just to see Beau the cat. I had lunch at McDonald's but wish instead I had gone to the KFC across the street; US KFC is tastier than Canadian.

 

[NOW: That KFC is now closed.]

 

I walked to Fremont where I revisited the plant dinosaurs, Fremont Rocket, Lenin statue, Center of the Universe, Waiting for the Interurban, JP Patches & Gertrude: Late for the Interurban, and Fremont Troll; in the latter instance I zoomed a bit to save myself a hike. I revisited Gas Works Park and was surprised concession wasn't open.

 

I took a 62 bus close to Seattle Center. Before reaching there I grabbed an ice tea from Walgreen's. I walked to the International Foundation at Seattle Center. At its armory I asked at Visitor Info why the fountain's music was different this year. I t took a few tries but she finally admitted it was a new person. I went to Mod Pizza. The tray was hot and carrying it outside accidentally spilled Coke on it but it didn't change the flavour much as Coke is passive. Try mixing a Coke with just a little orange juice. The orange juice will dominate, I returned to the fountain.

 

After a while I walked back to the observation deck. Still closed so I put my camera through the rails to get a few shots. I revisited both pigs at Pike Place Market before returning to the hostel to pack. My passport got separated and I hadn't noticed but another person in the room found it.

 

No comments: