Friday, May 26, 2023

Pacific Northwest Trip 2022 Day 13 July 29 Seattle, Sumner, Puyallup

This is the 13th in a series of posts covering my trip to the US Pacific Northwest in 2022, adapting emails originally sent to friends. I use NOW to refer to any updates since I did the trip.

 

In the morning I walked to Pike Place Market and visited both piggy-banks (Rachel and ??) and took some shots of the waterfront down below (despite the construction, looks nicer without the viaduct). I had breakfast at the hostel and then went to the bus stop. A 577 bus was supposed to arrive before the 578 (both Sound Transit) so I was going to take it to Federal Way, get photos of light rail construction, and then take the 578 from there, but it never showed so I did a very brief walk and then took the 578 bus directly to Sumner Station, Sumner.

 

[NOW: The other piggy-bank is Billie.]

 

It was early so I passed through the small concrete park Heritage Park and then photographed the outside of A Good Book. Continuing on, I had to take a detour due to construction; I think there must have been a slightly raised sidewalk, so I took a spill. Camera wasn't damaged and more surprisingly my scrapes didn't start bleeding after like they normally do. I walked to the McDonald's and got a large Coke. I saw another 578 but I wanted to get a few more shots so I let it go. Soon after I hiked to Puyallup. Neither the original 578 stop there or a temporary one (due to construction) had times.

 

Wandering around, at a park I recognized a statue that I think used to be in a different location. Playing a hunch I went across the street to the public library and found an art map. Sure enough, quite a few art pieces that I thought had been removed years ago were actually in different locations. I don't know of they were moved to their new location right away or if they were in storage for a while. One was Man who Catches Birds with His Beard, which used to be near the bus/train station, and Salutation, another tasteful nude female statue; in the latter case it is now off to the side of a staircase, thus raised a few steps. Since the woman is leaning back, when you look up to the statue your eyes meet her intimate area (luckily not as realistic as most of the rest of her) and it's harder to see her face now.

 

I wandered some more and then took another 578 bus to Westlake Park and then at Westlake Station, took a 1 Line (Sound Transit) to the U District Station. There I visited Magus Bookstore, Bulldogs News (which seems to be transitioning into a coffee shop), University Bookstore, and Scarecrow Video; bought 4 DVDs at the latter. I had to use the drive through window to get lunch at Jack in the Box. I got three more Mystery Science Theater 3000 sets. I took a 79 bus (King County Metro Transit).

 

[NOW: The latter sets were purchased at Al’s Music, Video & Games. The 79 bus took me to Warren G. Magnusson Park.]

 

It was the most crowded I've ever seen it. There were times when I was watching the water but pointing the camera away from the water to avoid being confronted. I did a couple swims there. I left by way of the dog off leash area. At one point through a fence I saw A Sound Garden, the inspiration for the rock band Sound Garden, but due to the lack of wind the pipes were quiet. I took a 75 bus (King County Metro Transit) to University Village (actually just barely outside the U District). I took photos of various sculptures (some like Stonehenge also fountains). In one case I left Water Frolic (frogs "spitting") because a little girl was playing there but I later came back.. After I was leaving the second time, I spotted the scrap metal penguin that used to be at Pacific Place. It was always a highlight of past trips, so I was very happy to finally find its new location.

 

I wandered through the University of Washington, where an HBO shoot was happening. This might be why Drumheller Fountain was turned off. At University of Washington Station I took a 1 line train to Capitol Hill Station (that was the last use of Sound Transit for this trip). I visited Phoenix Comics, Elliott Bay Book Company, the Jimi Hendrix statue, and that area's Twice Sold Tales. I found two store cats there. I took an 8 bus (King County Metro Transit) to near Seattle Center. I got a sandwich at Subway and a Slurpee at 7-11. And then went to the International Fountain. After a while I got more beer and returned to the hostel via the Seattle Center Monorail one last time I can't access ArriveCan on my notebook so front desk recommends trying the library tomorrow.

 

[NOW: The filming was for the TV series The Sex Lives of College Girls. At the time, it was mandatory for people visiting or returning to Canada to fill in vaccination details in advance in ArriveCan to enter the country. The hostel was the Green Tortoise Hostel.]

No comments: