Friday, May 26, 2023

Pacific Northwest Trip 2022 Day 11 July 27 Seattle, Everett, Marysville, Lynnwood, Edmonds

 

This is the 11th in a series of posts covering my trip to the US Pacific Northwest in 2022, adapting emails originally sent to friends. I use NOW to refer to any updates since I did the trip.


I saw some police action by Pike Place Market last night, from the hostel (didn't go outside). There was a bright light visible from my room and it was a bit noisy but I finally did get to sleep.On the plus side I don't need to turn on any lights to find things in my room.

 

Forgot to mention yesterday: I was glad I packed a comfortable swimsuit because my shorts tore. Also have another pair

 

In the morning I walked to Lumen Field (formerly CenturyLink Field and Qwest Field before that; football) and T-Mobile Park (formerly Safeco Field; baseball). KING 5/NBC is near the latter. While I'm at it, KIRO 7/CBS is a few blocks from Seattle Center, KOMO 4/ABC is right across the street from Seattle Center, and KCTS 9/PBS is actually in Seattle Center.

 

Near Lunen Field is Kingdome Deli, a surviving tribute to the stadium that preceded Lunen et al. I walked to the International District and visited the small concrete Hing Hay Park. At International District/Chinatown Station I added two daypasses onto my ORCA card. I entered the Downtown Transit Tunnel, formerly for buses, then for buses and the 1 Line light rail and now just the latter. I took that light rail (Sound Transit) to University Station.

 

After breakfast at the Green Tortoise Hostel, I walked to Westlake Station. a guy asked if it was the other side of the tracks that we were both headed that the light rail to the Airport went. I replied in the affirmative and he just made the trail. I took the northbound 1 Line to University Station. I visited Drumheller Fountain at University of Washington then took the 1 Line to the current terminus station, Northgate (last Seattle trip it was University).

 

I took the double-decker 512 bus (Sound Transit; got an upper front seat) to Everett Station, Everett. I grabbed an Everett Transit schedule etc from Visitor Info there. I took a 202 bus (Community Transit) to Marysville. 3rd Avenue Books wasn't yet open but it was nice strolling the quaint stores on that side of the highway. On the other side were the box stores. I visited Big Lots (bought movies) and Rite Aid before taking a 201 bus (Community Transit; most of the route same as 202) back to Everett. I got Picard season 1 at Bargain CDs, visited Sound Loan (didn't want to buy anything (outside entrance had too many right wing rants including anti-background checks for guns), and Everett Comics. I took a 7 bus (Everett Transit) to near Everett Mall. In the mall had lunch at A&W, possibly for the first time in the US. Unlike in Canada they serve Pepsi, not Coke products.

 

[NOW: That Big Lots and Rite Aid were in Marysville Town Center, a strip mall. That A&W has now closed.]

 

Across the street from the Mall I visited Half Price Books before taking another 7 bus a ways. I think I got off the bus too soon. I saw the bus I wanted, Blue Swift (Community Transit) go by. Heading south on foot I just made the next stop before the bus arrived. I took it to the Half Price Books in Lynnwood. I was early and my bus wasn't for another 50 minutes so I went to the nearby Big Lots (years ago it was the first one I ever visited) and bought a Venom energy drink. My hike to Silver Platters put me through construction. After that it took a bit of time trying to figure out how to get to Lynnwood's Barnes & Noble but I finally did. I visited Alderwood Mall, which has some nice art outside, including a horse statue (appears repainted since my last visit, likely recently), and a couple of art piece fountains.

 

I took a 116 bus (Community Transit) to the west side of Edmonds. This area of Edmonds and the above area of Marysville were new to me though I had visited other areas in those cities before; everything else was a return. There are a few narrow streets of shops including Wit's End Bookstore. I visited Edmonds Ferry Terminal because I correctly guessed that it would have a chilled water fountain. I walked around some more. By one restaurant were a couple of nice very tasteful nude woman statues. I took a 130 bus (Community Transit) to Aurora Village Transit Center in Shoreline; my connecting bus took off as mine was arriving.

 

I finally took a connecting E Rapidride bus (King County Metro Transit) to Arcane Comics. I returned to the stop and ignored a crazy woman until my bus arrived. I got off in Seattle. I walked to Greenwood Eve. As I figured from my research, no Greenwood Parade this year. it's surprising how bland the street is without the parade energy. I visited Dreamstrands Comics, Couth Buzzard Books, and Santoro Books. A late 5 bus (King County Metro Transit) took me to near Seattle Center, where I visited the International Fountain, taking a break for Mod Pizza at the Seattle Center Armory. I decided to skip free beer at the hostel because I was enjoying the fountain too much. Besides, free *American* beer presumably. I finally took the Seattle Center Monorail to Westlake Center. Some police activity on 4th and to a lesser degree on 3rd.

 

I visited Rachel the Pig at Pike Place Market then returned to the hostel. I asked for ice cubes because I was overheating but they had used them up at the free beer. The guy thought the drinking fountain is pretty cool; it's lukewarm. Having a couple of the blueberry beers I bought instead to cool off.

No comments: