Friday, May 26, 2023

Pacific Northwest Trip 2022 Day 10 July 26 Seattle, Lakewood, Olympia, Lacey

 

This is the 10th in a series of posts covering my trip to the US Pacific Northwest in 2022, adapting emails originally sent to friends. I use NOW to refer to any updates since I did the trip.

 

I checked out: of my first night room at Green Tortoise Hostel to get a lower bunk. I did a brief walk to Pike Place Market including Rachel the Pig before returning to the hostel. The 594 bus (Sound Transit) I wanted to get never showed up so I had to wait until the next one. Unfortunately this meant I missed my connecting bus at SR512 Park and Ride and had to wait 50 minutes to ride the next one. I walked to the nearby McDonald's and got a $1 large pop, then returned to the Park & Ride.

 

[NOW: That Park & Ride is in Lakewood].

 

I took the 620 bus to Olympia (this bus and all buses in Greater Olympia area Intercity Transit). Intercity Transit buses are now free, but you have to board and exit from the back. Also the bus schedule I got is the final print version as it's going digital. I got off at the Capitol. I visited Tivoli Fountain. Near it is a drinking water fountain activated by foot pedal. This isn't new to this drinking water fountain but not a bad idea for pandemic era fountains. I noticed you could go inside the Capitol but didn't know the photography rules so I went inside and snapped a few shots without walking too far.

 

I walked down a path to Capitol Lake. I went to Bank of America and asked a security woman if the fastest means to access an ATM was inside. She said yes. I couldn't find one so spoke to a teller. The partnership with Scotiabank is ATM only and the nearest one was right by the security guard, At Olympia Transit Center I took a 62B bus to Lacey, where I visited Gabi's Sports Cards and Comics.I started to take the 60 bus back to Olympia but I noticed it took 10 minutes longer than the 62B and would cause me to miss a connection so I got off and took the 62B bus back to Olympia Transit Center.

 

I took a 48 bus to Capital Mall and walked to a McDonald's near the Barnes and Noble. So after lunch at the former I did a short visit to the latter. After four years I forgot which block Half Price Books Outlet (was but I finally found it and bought three DVDs there). I was honest and admitted that another copy of one had a higher price but I was given the lower price. I returned to the mall and just made a 47 bus back to the transit center. I visited Browsers' Bookshop and then walked into the water jets at Heritage Fountain to cool off. I walked to the Star Wars Mural but it was partly obscured by food cars and thus diners. When I left Victoria, Last Word Books was moving but hadn't reopened. I correctly guessed they would now be reopened. I also visited Danger Room Comics, Rainy Day Records (bought a couple DVDs) and the new location of Orca Books Outlet (no sign of the cat, just its food, bed etc).

 

I visited Sylvester Park and then a few art pieces by the waterfront. I took a 620 bus back to the Park & Ride; like me another guy took photos of the Capitol. I transferred to a 594 Sound Transit bus to Westlake Park in Seattle. | went to the Westlake Center stop of the Seattle Center Monorail and took it to Seattle Center. I bought dinner from the nearby 7-11 and took it to the International Fountain in Seattle Center. It went dormant sooner than expected (around 7:15). I briefly watched a marching band practicing, likely for the Torchlight Parade. I visited the  off leash Regrade Park. City Hostel Seattle again had someone inside but not at the front disk. I revisited Rachel the Pig at Pike Place Market.

 

The hostel was serving free ice cream so I got access to my new room and then went for the ice cream but that was now stopped for the evening.

No comments: