Friday, May 10, 2024

Alberta Trip 2023 Day 9 Tuesday June 13 Calgary

 

This is the 9th of a series of posts dealing with my 2023 trip to Calgary, Edmonton, and vicinity. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports (typos, bits I don’t feel like making public). Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of a year later or to add further clarification. These are indicated by “NOW”.

 

In the morning the weather forecast was sunny all day so I decided to chance the last parks day. I worked my way west. I didn't realize until I was well into my walk that a backpack pouch was open and I had lost one of my more reliable pens. I was going too head straight to the University of Alberta but I was getting hungry and figured I'd have better lunch heading towards Brentwood Station, not far from the university. I found a Wendy's right by Brentwood Station and grabbed breakfast there.

 

[NOW: I started out from the Calgary Hub hostel.]

 

I bought a daypass at the station and then took the Red Line/201 CTrain (all transit today Calgary Transit) one stop to University Station. I did a slight exploration of the university and then took another 201 train to the end of the line, Somerset-Bridlewood Station. Partly to kill time, I visited Walmart then took the 201 train to Canyon Meadows Island. I wanted to visit Bonaventure Island on Lake Bonaventure, but it appears some rich person had bought the trail to the island and thus the public can't access it because it's private property. I don't think you can see the lake from any direction unless you own property in the area. Not a fan of making lakes only accessible to property owners.

 

I walked to the north end of Fish Creek Provincial Park and walked along the trail. To get to the south end, with better paths, I had to walk along the highway further than expected. I finally made it and explored a little. I was reluctant to reverse the route facing away from traffic and some parts of Fish Creek are pretty dry so I put my shoes and socks in my backpack and slowly walked across the small bit of small water.

 

I climbed a hill and made my way to Arby's. I think that was the first time I ate at an Arby's since the one at Mayfair Shopping Centre closed.

 

[NOW: the latter mall is in Victoria.]

 

I took another 201 CTrain to Chinook Station and visited that area's Fair's Fair Books. I found a couple of comics related books, including the Super DC Dictionary from the 1970s. It's a children's dictionary that adult comic fans have discovered have unintentional humour. To get a sense of the appeal, Google "Luthor forty cakes"; I strongly urge you to try that.

 

I took one more 201 CTrain to City Hall Station and transferred to a 202/Blue Line train to Whitehorn Station. I noticed distinct storm clouds. At Books Between Friends, despite it being just after 2:30, I was told they were closing in ten minutes; they normally close at 4. I took a 38 bus west a ways.

 

Heading north I noticed the rain starting so I ran to a bus shelter where I switched to my slightly damaged camera, put on a coat, and pulled out the fold-out umbrella I hoped I wouldn't have to use but had prepared just in case. It started coming down hard and I recorded the sound of thunder on video. While there was no signage I found Nerd Pharmaceuticals where I chatted with the dealer a bit about the rain. He gave me an extra plastic bag to protect my stuff. The rain subsided a bit and I soon took a 32 bus to Rundle Station. From there I took another 202 CTrain to Bridgeland Memorial Station.

 

I walked to 9th Ave SE and visited That Old Retro Store and Recordland Limited, and revisited The Next Page and 9th Ave's Fair's Fair Books. I revisited City Hall's fountain, then had dinner at McDonald's. At Winners I found a pair of shorts I wanted. The size is smaller than my usual but while a little tricky to get on, they are comfortable enough once on so I bought them. I returned to the fountain briefly.

 

[NOW: The water jets are actually at Olympic Plaza, so near City Hall but not at it. That McDonald’s and Winners are on 8th Ave SW.]

 

I should have switched back to the other camera sooner. I tried zooming with the damaged camera to see which bus was coming. Now I have a lens error and can't even zoom out back to default. Hope it's still under warranty. I know it's close to running. Now I'm down to one camera so have to be extra careful.

 

[NOW: The warranty ended a few months earlier.]

 

I took a 5 bus back to Calgary Hub hostel. After dropping my stuff off I did a brief stroll to Nose Creek;l en route a rabbit was relaxing on the sidewalk so I got some shots but crossed the street and back so as not to disturb it. It was gone when I returned to the hostel.

No comments: