Friday, May 10, 2024

Alberta Trip 2023 Day 6 Saturday June 10 Edmonton

 

This is the 6th of a series of posts dealing with my 2023 trip to Calgary, Edmonton, and vicinity. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports (typos, bits I don’t feel like making public). Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of a year later or to add further clarification. These are indicated by “NOW”.

 

I woke up around 3:15 but then fell back asleep until around 5:15 when someone's alarm went off. Nature of hostel life. Finally got access to Facebook (before Facebook would hang during security bit). I had breakfast at the same McDonald's as Thur morning then crossed the North Saskatchewan River and visited the Legislature again. The part being renovated partly is over a highway. Saw a grey rabbit. I passed Rogers Place, and visited City Hall. The fountain was off so I wandered through the fountain area getting shots. A pigeon was perched on the shoulder of a statue of Winston Churchill. I headed south and got a nice river view from way above. I went down a ways and got more of a view from the Frederick G. Todd lookout. I crossed another bridge over the river and wandered to a riverboat. I couldn't find a pedestrian bridge. It might have been replaced with a new Mill Woods light rail line bridge. I crossed the same bridge and because a different path was closed, climbed up the same stairs I went down.

 

I got a couple more comic trades at downtown Wee Book Inn and then walked to Edmonton City Centre, then City Hall, where the jets were on. I changed into my swimsuit and cooled off. Heading back to a bridge, a harmless looking woman wanted me to take a photo of her. Don't know why but she seemed harmless so I did. I made my way back to H-I Edmonton because I needed a fresh copy of my address list. I wanted to visit Corellian Comics but the antique market I think it was in said no large backpacks. After A&W lunch I visited Alhambra Books and revisited the 82 Ave Wee Book Inn; didn't see the cat this time. I worked my way towards the river, getting photos of indigenous art. I crossed over the river, climbed another Gatorade from Dollarama. I revised City Hall, where I changed back into my swimtrunks and got refreshed in the fountain again. I rested a bit and then revised the outside of Rogers. I passed a fair by Grant McEwan University, where I found a drinking fountain. I wanted more photos of Rogers but my body said no.

 

I worked my way back to 82nd Ave. At the Lobby, an alternative video store, there were no discards though you could pay for the regular stock. I didn't feel like second guessing prices so left and went to the same Tim Horton's as Thursday. At the hostel there's only one washer, so getting clothes clean has been a bit of a slow process (one person ahead of me). I got a lemonade Slushee from the Circle K I got the water from yesterday. Not liking next week's weather forecast.

 

[NOW: There was rain the following week but not for as long as I feared, tough I did have some camera issues. Smoke was an issue however. See later reports.]

No comments: