Thursday, August 8, 2019

Pacific Northwest Trip 2018 Day 13 Friday July 26: Seattle, Woodinville, Kenmore, Lake Forest Park, Shoreline

UPDATED: February 12, 2021 

This is the 13th of a series of posts dealing with my 2018 trip to Olympia, Seattle, and vicinity. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports (typos, bits I don’t feel like making public). Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of two years later or to add further clarification.  These are indicated by “NOW”.

All buses with the same number this report same transit system. I got up and revisited Olympic Sculpture Park, as well as its Pocket Beach and Myrtle Edwards Park in the same area. I walked along the waterfront to Seattle Ferry Terminal, then doubled back to Pike Place Market and Rachel the Pig(gybank) before returning to City Hostel Seattle for breakfast. As I left I noticed my movie list wasn't in my bag (I use it to avoid paying for ones I already have) but no time to go back.

I took a 13 bus (King County Metro Transit) downtown and then took a 522 bus (Sound Transit) to Barnes & Noble in Woodinville. I walked from there to Woodinville Park & Ride. I wasn't wowed by Woodinville, but the bus ride over didn't grab me so on some level I didn't want any desire to return. So I may not have given it a fair chance.

I took another 522 bus to Kenmore, when I got a drink from Rite Aid and visited a Cash America Pawn. I took a 372 bus to the Market at Lake Forest park in the town of the latter name, where I visited Third Place Books. I took another 372 bus to Seattle.

[NOW: 372 bus is King County Metro Transit.]

The next part is a bit tricky, but think of an intersection in terms of north south east west. I got off the bus in the southwest part of the intersection and crossed the street to a Walgreen's, which is on the southeast and still Seattle. After visited there, I crossed to the northeast, which is in Lake Forest Park, and then crossed to the northwest part of the section for lunch at McDonald's, which is in Shoreline. The Walgreen's visit was partly to push my McDonald's visit closer to 11.

Crossing back l to the bus stop I got off at in Seattle,  I took a 522 bus south and then transferred to a 65 when I should have transferred to a 75 bus (both King County Metro Transit). I managed to doubleback a stop and catch the 75 bus, so no harm done.

I got off the 75 bus at Warren G. Magnuson Park, the second largest Park in Seattle after Discovery Park and considerably easier to navigate. I walked into the off-leash area on the north end, which is helpful for avoiding getting lost, though I left briefly to climb a hill and then back into the off-leash area. Near Lake Washington I could see the art piece A Sound Garden in an adjacent government facility. You can get special clearance to revisit and I did twice in the past, but generally it's easier to just get photos through the wired fence.

I wandered south along the Lake Washington area, swimming at Magnuson beach, which has a life guard. The rocks hurt my feet as i entered the water to swim. I did more wandering and eventually swam again in the north end. Technically you're only supposed to swim near the lifeguard area, but swimming elsewhere is common and my feet hurt less going in there. As I started heading out of the part, there was enough wind that A Sound Garden was making a sound. I visited a community garden and then let the park, just missing a 75 bus.

I crossed the street and walked parallel to the south end, where I used to get off the bus years ago. I was surprised to find that three hours had passed since I entered the park. I took a 75 bus to the University of Washington. The stop I got off at was near Drumheller fountain so I revisited that before taking a Link train (Sound Transit) from University of Washington station to Capitol Hill Station.

i walked to Twice Sold Tales and got photos of a couple cats there. I passed the Jimi Hendrix statue and then visited Elliot bay Book Company and then Everyday Music across the street. This branch requires photos ID for credit card purchases and mine was in the hostel, so I got some more money from a nearby Bank of America and made my purchases. I saw a couple of Mystery Science Theater 3000 sets but wasn't sure which ones I had.

it was a bit of a detour, but I took the First Hill streetcar (King Country Metro Transit) to International District/Chinatown Station and then in the tunnel took a 125(?) bus to Westlake Station.

[NOW: Thus bus, King Country Metro Transit, was actually a 225 bus.]

I had hoped to ride the South Lake Union Streetcar (because it was originally to be called the South Lake Union Trolley, it's often referred to by a rude acronym) but there was no streetcar at the stop and it's a bit of a detour. I'll try to at least get photos of it before leaving town but liking won't have a chance to ride the... you know before the trip. At the hostel I couldn't find the list but turned on my computer for an electronic version.

[NOW: I didn’t get any subsequent photos of this streetcar but it turns out I did on the 25th.]

I walked to the McDonald’s across from Seattle center and from there walked past two people seen earlier this trip and in other trips, dressed as Darth Vader and a Stormtrooper, to the international Fountain.

I walked to the 8 bus stop; it's supposed to run every 15 minutes but waited a quarter hour so must have just missed one. I finally took the 8 bus (King County Metro Transit) back to Capitol Hill, where I crossed through Cal Anderson Park, which I had never really explored before; it has a water 'volcano"; police cars in south end). At Everyday Music I got two of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 sets I had eyed earlier and an Atom Egoyan set. I crossed back through the park and hoped to take a Link train, but 16 minutes to the next one. Instead I just barely caught an 8 bus and took it back to Seattle Center, and then walked straight back to the hostel from there.
 
[NOW: The Central Link train/Sound Transit is now Line 1.]

No comments: